Vietnam Wall - Memorial Day 2005

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by jjdesanto1, Jun 1, 2005.

1. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I stopped by the Vietnam Wall in Washington D.C. over the Memorial Day weekend.

There were people who remembered the war...

along side the ones who were too young to remember...

Some were trying to understand what happened...

while others understood only too well.

2. Nice shots, especially the third one with the hand.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Very moving...I too like the 3rd shot...well done. I've been there and it's a special place to visit...

4. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thank you both

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it's a very moving experience to walk down past all those names. It had been 20 years since I had last visited "The Wall" but it still has a powerful emotional presence.

5. That hand is outstanding, thnxs for sharing

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks

Thanks for compliment. I entered that hand into the BestFoto.com competition and - lo and behold - it turned up a winner in the Black and White competition.

Thanks again!

7. Very touching.....thanks for sharing these moving images John.

8. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks Dawg

Thanks Dawg for your kind words. Glad you liked them.

9. Thanks for sharing. I remember. I was there 1969-1970, Med-evac corpsman north of DaNang, 1st Marine Air Wing, CH46 Sea Knight Choppers.

There are names of men on that wall that gave their lives so I could be here today.

I will always remember.

10. It is sad to see the names. But even more so as you have shown a photograph of a soldier who lost his life. A very emotional study, beautifully shot.
    Thanks.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The wall is a very powerful place, even if you haven't lost someone to the Viet Nam War. You did an outstanding job capturing the sorrow that war brings to the survivors who gave their all for us.

12. The second to last one down is a very powerful image. B&w, I think, would convey it a little better, but that's just me. Wonderful and powerful series!

13. Thanks for sharing your experience through these moving images. Well done.

14. Great job of sharing with the forum. I hope to travel to DC and see the wall someday.

I was there 1969 - 1970 at Phu Cat AFB.

15. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi John,

Wonderful images! I lived in montgomery county for 30 years, recently moved to miami beach. The wall is without a doubt my favorite place to go downtown. You hear the term "hallowed ground" used a lot, this is TRULY hallowed ground indeed.

A few times (this may seem silly to some) I had the honor of seeing a park ranger picking up the momentos left, which they do once daily, and each and every one of them is stored for posterity in a warehouse in PG county. I guess it was the last such time, I kind of walked along with the ranger a bit, he noticed me, and I remarked to him what an amazing and hallowed task that was... picking up all the little bits and pieces that are so deeply personal to the person that placed it. He didn't really have much of a response to that, but I tell ya, were I to do that just once, it would move me beyond measure.

Just one particular thought on how very special that place is. And that from a person that really has no connection to a single name on the wall.