View from Wrightwood, California

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by MiriamJ, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Took this yesterday morning when a friend and I drove up to Wrightwood to take a few pictures.

original.

As always, I wouldn't mind any suggestions for improvement. Better composition? Over Photoshopped? Colors right? Whatever . . .:smile:

BTW, kicking myself, (just a little bit, not too hard), on this shot. I was using a 20mm f2.8 AIS manual focus lens, so I was setting all my controls manually. My first shot of this scene was too light according to the histogram, so I slowly dialed in the shutter speed, 1/3 ev at a time until I thought I got the right exposure, then stopped. I opened it up in my RAW converter, and found I was about 2/3 ev overexposed.

This blew out the far sky, and affected the sky colors just around the blown out area. I photoshopped some haze into the blown out area and adjusted the truant sky colors. It's okay, but if I had just taken a few more shots adjusting the ev, the picture would have been better, and would have taken less time to edit.

Lesson learned. Keep shooting until you're sure you got it right! :smile:

p.s. After James suggestion that it was warm, I got to wondering if it was too warm, and redid it. I think this version is better. Thanks for giving me the idea, James!

View attachment 103868

And here is my version trying to work towards Wade's version, and cooler as James suggested. Thanks, Wade and James!

View attachment 103869

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  2. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Hi Miriam,

I like the shot a lot. Particularly the nice warm colors and different composition.

James

3. Thanks, James, appreciate the comment and feedback. :)

4. Like the shot; like the location. This is the type of spot, I trying to go back to again and again to see how different lighting (weather, time of day, season, etc..) can change the look.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like it very pretty
    Great color

6. Thanks Dan. I agree. It's not real far from me; good for a day trip. I'm going to try again another season. Also, there's a valley right near there that was too full of shadows for a good shot. I'm going to going to try for an early afternoon shot there.

7. Thanks, Gale, glad you liked it.

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    your original,

original.

your second,

View attachment 103871

My attempt at your great capture

[​IMG]

my thoughts, pretty similar to yours, but I wanted a bit more green in the trees, but still have warm dirt but a bit cooler like you did in your second shot. I did a bit more work in the sky and distance with color, did a bit more adjustments with NX color points, and I felt it needed a bit more sharpening (at least for sure the left tree and log in the image.)

Looking at it again, still like your green trees in the second better than mine,

cheers,

Just trying to "peel" away the landscape processing cobwebs!

Wade

9. Hi, Wade,

Thanks for the help. I was starting to get desperate. I had made about a half dozen edits, trying to get it right. Took a 2nd look at the last edit, realized I was making a mess of things, shut down the computer, gave my eyes a rest.

If I hadn't heard from you in this thread, I was going to email and ask for help. :)

You've really brought out the detail and the colors here. Much, much better. I might have gone a tiny tad lighter on the sharpening. I really left a lot sitting on the plate that I could have brought out.

I think making it slightly cooler helped. I like the green trees in both of them, (my 2nd edit and your edit), but I think there's a lot more definition and variety in color in yours that mine needed.

I'm glad you stepped in to help. My brain was starting to "split" open from trying to get it right.

10. Wade,

Did another edit after your suggestions, and put it in my original post. Thanks again for your invaluable help. :)