View NX hogging resources

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by scyfreestyler, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I have installed View NX a few times over the past few months and each time I use it, it bogs down my processor and renders the program virtually useless. Inevitably, I wind up uninstalling the program out of frustration. I got to thinking the other day that perhaps the program is trying to catalog all of my images on both hard drives. Is that the case or is there something wrong with my installation?

If it matters, my PC has a Pentium D 3.0Ghz with 1.5GB RAM.

It runs Capture NX just fine so I would think View should be equally enjoyable.

2. Zorac

Zorac

Dec 22, 2007
    Calgary, Canada
    maybe its just loading all the thumbs? wait a minute or two after selecting a directory then give it a go.

view nx does not create catalogs like lightroom or some of the others do.

it is hard on resources though, no so much processing but it is a ram hog.

3. I gave the program 20 minutes to load thumbs or whatever else it felt like doing. Even after that, it continued to consume about 70% of my processor power. This is really irking me because I want to use the program, but clearly it's just not useable this way. Any other ideas?

4. mtan

mtan

May 26, 2006
    USA
    What are you planning on using ViewNX for? If it's to manage your collection of photos, there are better (less frustrating) alternatives out there...

5. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I too have had a lot of trouble with View NX on my Macbook Pro. It frequently bogs down running on and on, seemingly doing nothing until I get impatient and Force Quit. I have also noticed that when there a significant number of photos in the folder (more than 100) it quits on it's own, giving me this error message; "ViewNX unexpectedly quit". While sorting & moving photos into sub-folders it frequently quits and below is an example of a photo which was altered as a result. The photo looks like it was copied to itself but slightly off register. I no longer trust ViewNX, and when I do use it to sort I will only sort a few photos at a time and then quit the program. I like much of what Vnx has to offer and I hope that Nikon can get the bugs worked out of it.

100699063.gif

6. I use it solely to sort and view. All of my NEF conversions are done in Capture NX. Are there any good freeware alternatives to View NX? I also have CS2, perhaps I should look into using Bridge?