View Nx map not working

I have also recently come up against the map issue when using View NX2 (which I have happily used for years).
I contacted Nikon support, which suggested installing NXi, which I did.
However NXi is useless to me. Although the Geotag/map feature works fine, the added location data is stored in a 'sidecar' file, and is effectively lost if you move or rename the original file.
I guess I'm going to have to find new software.
Can anyone tell me if Photoshop elements or any other software have a simple 'map' feature that saves the location data in the original NEF/JPEG file?

I'm with duncgib on this, the sidecar issue is useless.
Strange thing I've found, NXi 1.2.11 can read the embedded location details in old files, it can past the location details to a new file (but then uses the sidecar file even though the original didn't).
What's even stranger is I can copy the location data from a sidecar'd NXi file and paste it to a file in NX2 (which embeds it), the resulting file is readable by NXi.
I have to add location data to the photos from a track file using EXIFTool, NX2 used to be able to do this, NXi probably still can but will create sidecars.
Anyone found how View NXi can embed location details as it certainly can read them!

Check cataloging software apps and file management apps for the way they handle sidecar files. As an example, IDimager Photo Supreme cataloging software can be configured to write metadata either to raw image files or their sidecar files. When sidecar files are used, if you use that software to move, copy, rename or delete image files, the same is automatically done to the corresponding sidecar files.

I have just completed the upgrade to version 1.2.9 so that I can work on shots taken with my D850 but I cannot get the Map to work. The error message says that I am either not connected to the Internet (not true) or the server is unavailable. This has been the case for over four days.

Anybody else having this problem?

You corrected the problem, I just installed the latest version for the first time on a new PC and the problem persists.

Works fine for me:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom