View NX2 V2.8

Nikon update notifier is useless

I have all my software and cameras registered. When I check for updates I always get the "no updates available" message. No different today when I checked for the 2.8 update

JPS

I have all my software and cameras registered. When I check for updates I always get the "no updates available" message. No different today when I checked for the 2.8 update
Sometimes the "check" program furnished with ViewNX/CNX doesn't seem to do it's job ! It's better to go to your country's Nikon site and look !

:wink:
J-P.

I did leave it be once, some years ago, to see what would happen. After a month the updater did its job!
Maybe the version we normally download is some sort of beta version?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It is notoriously useless, in fact worse than useless.

It usually doesn't tell you about upgrades.

It sometimes tells you about upgrades that don't exist or are for products you don't have.

The first thing to do after installing any Nikon software is to uninstall Nikon Message Center (from Control Panel).

I've had these problems in the past, but recently my updater has been working okay (as a notifier, not a link) with maybe a day's delay. However, I have recently updated the messenger twice as a result of updating ViewNX/Transfer so that I could update NX2. My guess is that if the messenger version is out of sync with NX2 it simply does not work.

You might test this out by updating your ViewNX and then seeing if messenger works for the next update.

How far will they advance the version number without ever actually getting to 3.0?

Will there be a 2.9.9? Followed in a few months by 2.9.9.1, which fixes a minor bug ion 2.9.9...

In software version numbering, the next after 2.9.9 is 2.9.10, 2.9.11 etc as long as they are minor point releases.

For a more major point releases, it will move from 2.9.9 to 2.10.0.

Basically, it doesnt work like our regular counting system and you dont just jump to 3.0.0 just for the sake of it.

When large enough major updates are done, you cycle from 2.x to 3.x. until then, you can sit at 2.900.0 if needed

I was making a joke.

There will never be another 'major' release of NX2, and their 'point' releases have already crept up to 2.8. If they keep doing these piddly micro-releases (which amount to nothing but support for new camera file formats) their version numbers are going to look comical.

They got locked in a situation where they can't support new cameras without a code change. The change might be nothing but adding rows to a table of values, or adding to a list of supported model names - but that information isn't in a sidecar file, so they have to do a recompile/rebuild, and an entire release of the installable program. They've been throwing in a couple of trivial bug fixes, maybe just because their software contractor has a minimum charge for even the smallest change because most of the work is in repackaging and distributing the setup files.

Sorry Jim, but that is a load of twaddle.

Nobody releases updates, no matter how trivial, without changing versioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom