Viewing Differences between DSLRs and Mirrorless

I'm so unhappy with mirrorless that I'll end up getting an additional D850.
Another topic entirely, but I have to ask. I am unaware of anything that is inherently worse with mirrorless than dslr. No question they are different- but not inherently worse any more than red is inherently worse than green.
Now specific bodies in mirrorless and dslr both can have limitations.
Maybe I am missing something, so wanted to ask.
gary

Another topic entirely, but I have to ask. I am unaware of anything that is inherently worse with mirrorless than dslr. No question they are different- but not inherently worse any more than red is inherently worse than green.
Now specific bodies in mirrorless and dslr both can have limitations.
Maybe I am missing something, so wanted to ask.
gary

If I can't look through the eyepiece and see through the lens I don't want it. And that will never change.

Not sure I get your point. I look through the eyepiece and the lens with my Z6 and Z7. The viewfinder is probably their best feature.
I feel like I'm a pretty damn good photographer, and have yet to find the limits of my D800, let alone the D850. If I were to start over, mirrorless might appeal to me more, but I'm old-school as well, I prefer the feel of the bigger, heavier body. Hell, I shoot with a 6.5 lb lens. Mirrorless offers me nothing but a loss of money.

I feel like I'm a pretty damn good photographer, and have yet to find the limits of my D800, let alone the D850. If I were to start over, mirrorless might appeal to me more, but I'm old-school as well, I prefer the feel of the bigger, heavier body. Hell, I shoot with a 6.5 lb lens. Mirrorless offers me nothing but a loss of money.
Fair enough. But I'm still not getting the eyepiece—lens issue.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I get it .. it isn't true TTL pentaprism view of the actual scene unvarnished save for the pentaprism. It is a video screen so its already processed in some way.
Interesting. The only time I've held a mirrorless (Sony) I HATED the viewfinder view! LOL! Zebra stripes, heat wave type scene, etc, etc. I couldn't view the subject to determine focus at all. Of course, I was not about to try to change the owner's settings..... I've always wondered if it were just the settings or the nature of mirrorless....

A DSLR's LCD shows a jpg view..... How is a mirrorless viewfinder view "Processed...." differently?

In reading the stats on the Nikon Z cameras, the EVF adjusts the intensity of the light for easy viewing. It does not necessarily give you a feel for the lighting like an optical viewfinder would. I don't know anything about any other manufacturers.

Now, when you are reviewing the images you have shot on the LCD of your DSLR, you are looking at the jpg that's embedded in the NEF file, or the actual jpg if that is what you shot. If you are using Live View, you are seeing the image from the sensor that is translated by the camera electronics so that it can be displayed. At least, that's how I think it works. I think this is similar to how the mirrorless camera displays an image on its rear LCD.

The evf of the cameras are completely adjustable. You can adjust brightness, contrast, color rendition, sharpness, contrast, etc.....
You can make it look like anything you want. Anyone that says they don't like the look through the viewfinder should simply change it.
I can make it BETTER, or exactly the same as my dslr's. In dim light I adjust it so it is brighter, or I can adjust it so it is exactly what the file will look like opened in camera raw with no adjustments.
You actually have more control.
But if you do not set it up correctly, you do have the power to make it look awful.
Straight out of the box, they look awful
gary

the EVF adjusts the intensity of the light for easy viewing. It does not necessarily give you a feel for the lighting like an optical viewfinder would.
At least on the Sony cameras, this is completely adjustable.
I actually have a shortcut in my menu that with one click changes the efv from auto intensity (where it looks bright no matter what your settings are) to wysiwhg. One click.
It is all under your control
gary

It is a video screen [on a mirrorless camera] so its already processed in some way.
I like that the scene is already processed on a mirrorless camera. It's that processing that makes it possible for me to accurately determine the exposure I want in advance of releasing the shutter by viewing the histogram beforehand. I can't do that with any of the DSLR's I've owned; when using them I have to make an educated guess at the exposure I want, check the histogram after capturing the image, and then capture the scene again using a different exposure if needed.

I like that the scene is already processed on a mirrorless camera. It's that processing that makes it possible for me to accurately determine the exposure I want in advance of releasing the shutter by viewing the histogram beforehand. I can't do that with any of the DSLR's I've owned; when using them I have to make an educated guess at the exposure I want, check the histogram after capturing the image, and then capture the scene again using a different exposure if needed.
it totally eliminates "chimping" :)
And to some that is such an ingrained habit that maybe they don't want to break?
Ironically reviewing an image on a DSLR rear screen is way worse than seeing it in the electronic viewfinder

Not my experience at all using my Nikon Z6; I've always used the EVF's default settings.
on my Z5 I have adjusted diopter (+1 for clearer vision) and reduced brightness to match the one of my Olympus cameras since I was constantly shooting a bit underexposed (WYSIWYG). Colors and such are irrelevant since it's not something I can correct with a given lens I have mounted and any warm/cold cast a particular glass gives me is tweaked later in post-production :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom