ViewNX-i cannot read NEF files on WD My Book Duo RAID drive

I have hooked up a Western Digital My Book Duo external RAID drive, RAID 1 configuration. (Although I have the same issue with RAID 0 configuration.) I can read/write/delete files on this drive without any problems. Except with ViewNX-i. For the NEF files, I can see the NEF thumbnail on this drive. ViewNX-i doesn't have any problems with reading files on any of my other drives, which includes another external RAID drive and also a NAS drive. My only problem is with this one drive.

When I try to open an NEF file on this RAID drive, it launches ViewNX-i, but then hangs with the "Processing" message, and the program stops responding.

I am connecting from the drive to my computer via a USB 3.1 Gen-1 Type-C to Type-A Cable. The connection is direct from the drive to the computer.

Operating system is Windows 10.

The only other weird thing I see about this drive is that it is showing up as a Share instead of as a simple external drive connection. Even a USB stick just shows up as a regular drive, not a Share. I don't know why it's showing up as a Share.

I did a full format on the drive to see if that would make a difference (2 1/2 days to complete). It made no difference.

Any ideas?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It sounds maybe like a problem with the RAID software in the drive. Can you turn the drive back into normal non-RAID drives, so no more fancy/flakey software?
How can it possibly take 2 days to format? Is that the 28TB model?
Can you run Crystaldiskinfo on the individual drives to see if the SMART data shows anything going bad?

I changed the format to RAID 0 (i.e. no duplication of data). No change. Not sure what sort of "fancy" software would be involved. It took two days because I did a full format, rather than a quick format. That duration isn't out of the ordinary for when I have done the same thing on other RAID drives. Its a 12 TB model. Crystaldiskinfo showed everything as "Good".

Well, there's been a new version of ViewNX-i between when I last reinstalled it and now. And with the new version, everything works. Sigh. Technology.

Thanks for your response, Growltiger!

Latest threads

Top Bottom