Viewpoint changed by comment on Pbase

Clive i look at your pictures in Pbase and Smugmug and find that you have great ones mainly in composition and most of all for very even exposures which i still strugle to achieve. It's not the quantity of lens that make great pictures but the way you use them, look at all those great photographers that made their reputation for quality pictures with only one lens.

Nice to meet you clive

I'm sort of new here, I am disabled so the equipment talk is a interesting part as what tools are out there. I make no far fetched dreams, on what I get I will take years to save up for a D2? what ever the new model will be, while I have a photography and fine arts degree I can only look at the incredible photos and say I would love to go out and try. The fact is most of these photographer carry more glass and stuff then I would get from disability in about 5 to 6 years, so while I have better equipment it's a small but well chosen for my needs. AND I say if you enjoy it don't worry what the jones or the millers have photography is about making one person happy, "YOU" the rest of us here will enjoy your friendship and input.

SRA

Clive,

I haven't viewed your gallery and therefore cannot comment on your photography. However, before I do, I want to say that I thoroughly enjoy your writing and composition. Clear concise and interesting. Welcome back.

Clive, Glad to see you are here. As someone else said in this thread, you only have to please yourself, believe me I know. In college I majored in Photography (the Fine Art stuff), after college I opened a commercial studio in order to make a living. I burned out in ten years and didn't touch a camera for over 12 years. NOW I love photography again, because as long as the image in pleasing to me it's a great photograph. I don't care if it's "art" or if it's commercially successful. Be true to yourself and the heck with what others think. By the way, I only speak English (the American version) and some say I don't do a very good job with that.

Welcome back my friend!

Oh boy ! I read this thread thouroughly and I think it came as a rescue. Clive, if we share the problem, we can build the solution together. I am exactly in the same mood right now, but I found that you can teach me something about making people photography. On to your work...

Clive,
Thanks for this thread. Like you I have been lurking and for my part hopefully learning from all the talent here on the forum. I read the lens lust threads some but for the most part all I can do is lust after and try to budget for a bit better glass in the future. I found the "What do you do for a living" thread rather enlightening - as in the case of lens lust, I'm not going to be able to "keep up with the Jones' or whoever" as yes I am employed but as a mechanic, Jaguar technician to be specific, I hope this is not taken wrong by anyone I certainly do not have a reverse discrimanation complex or anything - it just makes sense to me now that many others here can more afford bigger tools (or toys), I may envy them but I certainly don't begrudge them (is that really a word .... I think it is) anything. I believe everyone here, with no exceptions, is here for their love of photography and dedication to Nikon. I for one am glad you plan to start participating in the forum again and look forward to seeing more posting by you. For what its worth, you inspired me to quit lurking and finally post some pics...maybe I'll get some comments and reccomendations which will help me improve.

BTW- color or colour, tire or tyre, wrench or spanner, I live in the "deep south" and work on English cars so does that mean I am multi lingual or just really confused.

Thanks, Mike

gho

My photographic skills had been left far behind by the calibre of contributions that this forum now attracts...
Well, you're not alone. But I don't care and just post away. I've always been kinda the class clown, and I'm not easily embarassed, and take everything with a grain of salt.

"How do you earn your living?" - I don't; I receive Incapacity Benefit.
Well, you're not alone there either. I don't receive any benefit, as a photographer, I don't make much (still in the red, er).

My primary responsibility is looking after my kids as a stay-at-home-dad, so we're really dirt poor.

"Which languages do you speak?" - Er...just English, actually; with a tiny smattering of Welsh learnt at the knee of a bi-lingual grandfather.
Welp, better than me! I only speak English, and I can't even speak that very well.

Then there all the threads concerning cameras, lenses and lighting that I might well covet, but, barring a lottery win, will never afford.
hehe... Well, I just use my "Photography Buiness" as an excuse to buy more equipment. Actually, it's kinda stressful, I'd be happy with only one camera if I wasn't a pro.

So there I was, lost in a heavy head-cold, generally feeling sorry for myself, looking out onto a grey day with a featureless sky.
BTDT

I logged onto my pbase site (where I very, very rarely get comments) and this awaited me...
Yes, on the rare occasion I get unsolicited comments, it really boosts my day. I agree with the comment left by the anonymous viewer too!

Jarrell Conley a long time ago in another place. It was along the lines of: "forget the sunsets and the lanscapes and the macros - in twenty years time it'll be the pictures of children and family that really matter."
Someone once told me that too. You should take a shot of your family every day - that's my goal (I must admit, sometimes I lag) - it's not the technical perfection of the photo that matters - it's what the photo captures - what no amount of words can describe. Someday you'll look back on those photos and they'll bring back the past as it were yesterday.

Hey, and you just might get better with all that practice too ;)

Some of my favourite shots of my kids are "snapshots" and test frames:
4_2_04t.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(footnote to those interested in language: that's "Autumn"- not "Fall" and "colours" - not "colors". :tongue: :smile: )[/QUOTE]
I used to spell "colour" that way, and people always told me I spelt it wrong, always say autumn too.

Wow! What a response.

I would normally respond to each poster individually but there are so many and I'm overwhelmed and deeply touched by each one. So please - all who responded - accept my sincere thanks for your kind words.

I feel privileged to belong - yes, belong - to such a fine group of people.

Thank you all.

Clive,

Just saw your thread, and it made my heart hurt to think that you didn't feel like a part of the group. Images aside, you have always been one of my favorite members here. Along with a bunch of others, I'm very glad you decided to come back. :smile:

North Yorkshire born and bred in Edinburgh!!!
Clive, this is only my second post to the Cafe. I suppose because I'm just trying to learn as much as I can by reading what others have to say. I don't own a dslr but use my beautiful FM2..................... trying hard to save up for a Nikon dslr but like others who have replied most of my cash is spent on my two little boys, Ben and Jake.................

So, what's the most important thing I've learned so far at the Cafe? The importance of friendship where people are the most important thing. Best wishes Clive, you are a true gentleman!

Graeme

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom