1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Viking Sod Church, Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by gnagel, Sep 13, 2018.

1. During my road trip to Newfoundland, I photographed 15 churches. A few of the churches were amazing cathedrals, while others were much simpler--such as this sod church at a historical Viking settlement on the northern tip of the island. I enjoyed them all.

p3067089318-5.
    NIKON D850    ---    14mm    f/9.0    2s    ISO 64

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 6
  2. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Interesting, I guess they arrived as Christians when they discovered NA around 1000 AD.

3. That's really interesting, Glenn, and a very nice composition and conversion. I've seen sod buildings from the outside but none from the inside.

4. That must have been the case...this was at Norstead--a museum intended to give visitors a glimpse of what a Viking village and port of trade looked around 1000 AD.
    Thanks Mike...I have more to process of the interior (and exterior) of more sod structures.

Glenn

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Great capture!

I too love the conversion.
    More to the image itself, the converging lines really draw your eye from the back benches to the front altar area. I really enjoy this image and thank you for sharing.

6. Fabulous shot of a hard to shoot place.

7. Thanks to both of you. One advantage of shooting at Norstead is that I did have this church to myself for quite a while. I was even able to close the side door to control the light.

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    You really managed to capture a sense of perspective and depth, Glenn!
    Beautifully composed and converted!

9. Thanks Bart...much appreciated!

Glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.