Critique Vino Nobile di Montepulciano -- TAKE 2

Last week I photographed the same wine in a different style displayed at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/vino-nobile-di-montepulciano.319625/. The setup for a photo I made of a crystal dinner bell a day or so ago was still in place, so I used that setup to make this photo. Walter and probably others will surely prefer the plain background in this photo. Maybe the plain tabletop, too! :)

Setup
The tabletop is glossy black acrylic and the background is black velvet that fills the frame, no more and no less. A large circular diffuser was immediately behind the background. A medium continuous-light lamp behind the diffuser was shining toward the subject and camera. That lighting outlined the glass part of the wine bottle in a thin, bright band of light. A small continuous-light lamp above the bottle and a little to the right of center lit the label and foil. White reflectors on the left and right sides added reflections to both sides of the bottle. A small white reflector in the left front area brightened the gold lettering on that side of the label to make all gold letters about the same brightness.

Mike 2019-12-05--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug!

the "layers" outlining the bottle really add to the interest
Thanks for mentioning that, as I also like that look. A lot of people would understandably use a tabletop no larger than the bottom of the wine bottle. Doing so would allow the outline of the bottle and the two reflections parallel to that outline to be displayed all the way down to the bottom of the bottle in a uniform luminosity. That's also an appealing look and one most product photographers would use. But for me, the look you mentioned with the change in luminosity near the bottom of the bottle is really interesting.

Thanks, Nick!

something deliciously rich about this version---can't quite put my finger on it
For me, both versions are a good fit with the word, nobile, in the name of the grape. Whether it's the draped background and tabletop in the first version or the sleek look provided by the plain background and tabletop in this version, both styles convey a sense of nobility to me when other styles might not.

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Now THIS I love!! As Karen stated, the image is very classy and honestly, the producers of this wine should purchase this image from you to use in their advertising - it's just that good...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Annnd...since there's a reflection, it would be a perfect image for this week's Collective Shoot...

Jus sayin... ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom