Critique Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

Not to be confused with the Montepulciano grape, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is a regional name for the local version of Sangiovese. I liked the bottle so I photographed it. I haven't tasted the wine yet.

Setup
The tabletop and background are a single sheet of black fabric with gold metallic flecks. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was above the bottle and a little to the right of center. Two white reflectors, one on the left and one on the right, added reflections to both sides of the bottle.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
I like the lighting setup Mike - thanks for the description! The side reflectors work perfectly! The light runs directly into the label, and unifies the picture.

The bottle is very well lit, but I'm not a fan of the gold flecks in the background cloth. Different strokes, as they say...

I'll be interested in your opinion of the wine as I have four bottles of it but haven't yet tried any.

One thing we can be sure of is that though it might be very enjoyable, it almost certainly won't deserve the rating of 98 points.
I never pay much attention to ratings anyway.

Have you tried it yet?

Montepulciano is a beautiful place...and beautiful describes this image. Well shot, Mike!
I've never been there, but I've been all around it. Need to get it on the schedule!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I really like this lighting and exposure. The bottle and label and lighting are so striking that I do find the background distracting a little bit. We all have our own personal taste in imaging so I will toss this up to my own artistic likes vs yours. I look forward to hearing how it tastes.

Thanks, Walter!

We all have our own personal taste in imaging
So true!

There is another factor that goes into my process of choosing tabletop and background appearances that I believe most viewers of an image understandably don't take into account when viewing just one image: I consider my body of work. I could very easily use a perfectly plain tabletop and background but then all my images would look too much the same to my taste. Even though I make photos in different styles, I still suffer from having too many of them in the same style.

Back to your comment about personal taste: Wine Enthusiast magazine regularly features photo styles that I abhor because of the strong shadows and harsh reflections. Someone if not many someones at that magazine like that style for whatever reasons, but I don't think I'll ever get used to it. So, I've never made a photo in that style.

Have you tried it yet?
My wife and I definitely enjoyed drinking it. It's not what I would call a drinking wine (wine that I would especially look forward to drinking on its own without being paired with food). However, when paired with a one-dish meal of braised potatoes, green beans, onions and tomatoes, the wine was thoroughly enjoyable.

I would expect a wine like that to be primarily a dinner wine.

Do you think it would go with spinach lasagna? This is a dish my wife makes with homemade pasta, alternating layers of spinach, ricotta cheese and parmesan, and tomato sauce with garlic, oregano, and béchamel sauce and a touch of nutmeg.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom