Vintage Base Ball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Otter, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I spelled that right, two words; Base Ball - not baseball

The local historical society hosted a vintage base ball double-header between the Akron Blackstockings and the Forest City Base Ball Club yesterday. This is a league where the game is played by the rules of the 1860's. They wear uniforms of the same period. You can see in the pictures gloves and other protective gear is not worn either.

The mid-nineteenth century game was considerably different than today’s game. Ballists played with bare hands until the 1880s and balls caught on one bounce were outs until the mid-1860s. Balls are considered fair by where the ball first touches the ground. That is, a ball hit in front of home plate that then spins into foul territory is still a fair ball.

I was there for only a few innings. Not being a baseball fan, I quickly became bored and left. :smile:

These pics are not Mike Macarific, Randawesome, or Brookstacular, but because they are a little different, I thought I'd share a few...

_DSC0074.png

#2 (forgot to straighten this one, sorry...)
    View attachment 220746

#3 out at second
    View attachment 220748

#4 under hand pitching
    View attachment 220750

#5 Home run. I think the ball landed out in Lake Erie.
    View attachment 220751

View attachment 220753

View attachment 220755

View attachment 220756

2. Great shots. But one little quirk in my book, I don't think they had Nikes back then lol.

3. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    yeah but the specticles in #8 'look' authentic :biggrin:

4. pretty cool. looks like only the pitchers 'mound' and home plate were in the dirt, what did they have for bases?

5. Well, I guess because of recent rain and mud, they had to reconfigure the field a bit. The bases were regular baseball field bases. The bases were pretty much pushed back into the grass.

_DSC0233.png

6. That's cool stuff and nice shooting too. Love the Forest uni, was the home run trot retro too?