Vintage Fly fishing gear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by West, Mar 7, 2017.

1. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    After seeing Pa's fly fishing photos, I decided to rescue my gear from 40 years of storage, and see if it was still operational.
    Happy to say, my 1940's Pflueger Medallist 14951/2 is in like "new" condition (love the clicking sound) and the 9 foot Shakespeare Wonderod looks top notch as well. Looking forward to getting out now once I get some new line.

33271267176_f5c215fc1d_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think that gear is considered "collectible" now. Nicely photographed.

Considering where you live is that gear for steelhead?

3. yes, nothing like old fishing gear, should still work perfectly. Probably todays carbon fibre rods will be a lot lighter than that old glass model.

4. You folks would enjoy the movie "Trout Grass"about a bamboo rod maker in Montana.

5. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    The gear was willed to me by my Uncle who tough me how to fish a long time ago, I had in storage for over 40 years. Being from Montreal, he could have used it for any type of gamefish I guess.

Just looking up the gear on the net and found this:
    "The 14951/2 is perfectly sized to hold a full double-taper 6, 7 or 8 line and up to 100 yards of 20lb Dacron backing"
    What does that mean exactly?, are they saying it's good for up to a 20lb line or?

33184513031_d5df71b9e2_b.

Attached Files:

6. That would be Glenn Brackett. I have visited the R. L. Winston Rod Company in Twin Bridges, Montana and I have a bamboo rod made by Glenn.

I've seen the movie two or three times.

7. No, what that means is if you put a standard length (90 feet) 6, 7, or 8 weight line on it there is still room for 100 yards of 20-lb Dacron backing. If you want heavier backing there won't be room for 100 yards on the spool in addition to the line.

Attached Files:

8. Yes, I prefer the new graphite and graphite/boron rods, but the old fiberglass rods have been enjoying a renaissance because of their soft and forgiving action.

9. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    OK thanks, I've been using casting/spinning gear all my life. Will have to watch some videos and practice my 10-2 o'clock for a while before venturing out.

10. yup, get a gnarly old Rainbow (or steelhead as you might call it) or grandfather brown in fast water and they can soon remove most of the line off the reel and you will glad of the 100 yards of backing as you run down the river trying to get it back. Just make sure you have a nice smooth flyline to backing knot so it does not catch on the rings

11. Yup. That's one reason I make a trip to the Orvis store in Roanoke when I buy a new fly line. I let them make that knot for me as I don't trust myself.

12. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I have been watching videos, and it appears that the line and leader both come with a loop for easy knot free connection.

13. Yes, and that works fine for line to leader, but not for line to backing. For that you want something like a nail knot or Albright knot. Even these are not as good as what is done at the Orvis shop, where they manage to embed the backing into the center of the fly line and seal with waterproof cement. That makes for a very smooth transition that slides perfectly through the guides.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Interesting thread as a fishing philistine I knew nothing of what has been mentioned so far and am saving the URL for when someone complains about my being a geek (to show there are all kinds of geeks :D :eek: :rolleyes: )

15. The Cafe is teeming with geeks (beside all things photographic): wine, beer, coffee, airplanes/aeroplanes, watches/clocks, guns, knives, cars, bikes, food, wood carving, travel, antiques of all kinds, and of course computers.

16. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Ok, it appears that my confusion was based on assuming that the backing and line were one of the same. Found this video that explains everything ...

17. The guy in the video uses a nail knot for both backing/line and line/leader. I never mastered the nail knot even using the tool.

As you are learning, the fly line is what you cast; the backing is there only in case you get a big fish that strips out all of your line. On the business end of the line is a leader of clear monofilament which is tapered from the end attaching to the fly line down to the tippet where the fly is attached. For small flies your tippet must be very fine to allow the fly to have a natural floating action. A good rod has enough flex at the right points to prevent a big fish from breaking the tippet if the fisherman is careful.

The real trout aficionados are experts on aquatic entomology and know the latin names of all the common flies that hatch from rivers. I know only a very few.

18. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I spoke with my local fly shop and they will spool the reel for me. Should be posting Trophy Fish photos soon :D

19. Looking forward to it!