Virginia Tech shooting -- Pa, you ok?????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BostonRott, Apr 16, 2007.

1. I just saw the horrid news about the Va Tech shooting. At least 20 people are dead. Started at 7:15a, at both ends of campus, and an Engineering building was involved.

Jim, are you ok???

I was physically sick watching this, thinking of the professors and people still down there that I know. I pray they are all ok.

-- Va Tech '93

2. I just heard the news. That's just horrible!!!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Isn't Pa (Jim) retired.??

What horrible thing

4. What a shame I sure hope all cafe members and there families if they are on campus are safe and sound

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Horrible tragedy. Our prayers go out for the injured, and to the families & friends of those killed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2007
  6. I do think Jim is retired, but I also think he's still over on campus a bit. His wife, Beth, was the house mother for my sorority. I pray for the Kappa house and that they didn't lose anyone in this. :frown:

7. Nicole, our granddaughter there just emailed and said she is okay.

Rich

8. Thanks for your concern folks. I have been following the news on TV and the internet just like you have.

Yes, I am retired but I do still have an office in the building adjacent to the one where the worst shooting occurred. I was not on campus today and got the news from the CNN web site.

I am holding my breath now for all of my friends who have offices in Norris Hall. That is the building in which the Dean Of Engineering's offices reside.

9. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Good thoughts for everyone involved....that's so incredibly...a waste.

10. Thank the good Lord! I'm sure you were very relieved to receive that email.

Jim, I'm so glad you weren't on campus today. Can only imagine your worry over co-workers. Has Beth been in touch with the Kappa house??

11. My heart was in my throat for a while. But all the kids killed, wounded and their survivors are not as fortunate.

The da$$ed news channels are playing the gunshots recorded by a cell phone over and over as they show footage. These scum; Fox, CNN, all of them. Just for effect. All for ratings.

Rich

12. Yes, I saw that too. I'm sure that's JUST what any of the affected families needs to be seeing/hearing. :mad:

13. They're not about news anymore, it's their warped sense of entertainment. Does Jerry Springer not have any openings? What a bunch of heartless bas&*%#s.

What a loss.

14. :mad: I really don't like the media's way of dealing with such events. All they seem to care about is the ratings they'll get out of it.:mad:

15. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow, terrible tragedy. My prayers are with the familes involved.

16. SmilesLots

SmilesLots Guest

Glad to hear you are ok Pa. I'm only about 25 miles away here in Copper Hill. One of my good friends is a professor emeritas there, though also retired now.

17. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Rich, I am glad to hear that your Granddaughter is ok. You too, Pa. Such a terrible tragedy. My prayers go out for ones who were injured and the friends and loved ones of those killed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2007
  18. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Always horrible to see something like this happen at another school (or anywhere). And I thought the incident we had on my campus was hard to deal with...

Glad to see all of our NC members in the area and their relatives are safe.

19. I'ts as bad on the internet news sites; not specifically the coverage, but most of the links are to video clips. Whatever happened to reading? Does the press think people are so stupid that they have to show them video clips rather than written text?

Rich

20. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I've only been reading stories. It's bad enough hearing about it...why watch videos of it? It's like students on my campus who wanted to go to the stairwell where someone jumped 4.5 stories to kill themselves to see if there was anything "interesting" left to see. I refuse to even use the stairwell any more.