1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Virtual Graduated Neutral Density (VGND) filter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by e_No, Aug 5, 2009.

1. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
  2. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    is this your creation? As I googled and read your blog twice and saw no mention of where to purchase or download a trial version? Looks very useful.................

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I would like to know as well...

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I love most of my filters. Haven't tried that one.

5. FisherPete

FisherPete

Nov 13, 2007
    Oregon
    In a response to the article, the author clarifies, "Art: in re-reading my article, I see that I wasn’t very clear… I used software (in my case Paintshop Pro X2) to create multiple layers and use masking. Any software like Photoshop that allows that functionality would be usable to do VGND."

Sounds like it's pretty labor intensive, but the results are nice.

In the world of imaginary products, I'm trying to find a SVGND - Smart Virtual Neutral Density Filter, i.e., one that automatically recognizes the contrast line. ;) 

6. What eNo is describing is the original HDR, that is, until the software came along. One method, HDR was done by hand with a couple exposures. One shot for the highlights and one for shadows. There are other ways too

Example here

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  7. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I've photographed jagged scenes like the bottom example in the article with a soft transition grad ND and the results look perfectly normal. So you don't necessarily need a completely flat scene to get acceptable results with a soft transition GND. I've never tried a hard stop one, but yeah that might be a little more touchy.

8. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
    No, no, goodness, no. I am not peddling software with this write-up. :) 

This is merely a layer/masking technique -- nothing new really -- but which can also be used to make a composite of two exposures. As FisherPete indicates, I left clarification in one of the responses... Maybe I should edit the article to make things clearer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.