Visit to the Eye Doctor, Samples Added

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baywing, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    On my annual visit yesterday, my usual fears were realized as the Dr wanted to dilate my pupils. Now, I don't need the lecture as to how important this is, especially at my age, so I always let him do it, I just don't like it. I had my sunglasses but the weather forecasters were wrong (again) and it was a sunny afternoon (clouds were forecast). As I was leaving, one of the gals at the desk offered me the cheapo plastic sunglasses they give away. I put them on over my sunglasses and it was a good thing.
    Now, to the point of all this. These cheap, plastic sunglasses have a near perfect sepia tone to them. In my dilated state, my eye focus was all out of whack and I could only think as I was driving along what an old timey look everything had. The sepia tone, the weird focus, soft-look that was common in the early days of photography. How interesting it was to view the world the way an old camera would have seen it.
    When I got home, I got to thinking about those cheap sunglasses with their sepia tone. Hmmm, they seem to be about the right size to fit over the SB 800. Within 5 minutes, I had cut 2 filters for the SB800. I did a quick trial this morning and I like what I see, so much so that I think further testing is in order. Obviously not the same as using a sepia filter on the lens, but now I have a pair of sepia filters for my flash and a clean bill of eye health for another year!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  2. How cool is this, please post some soon. I may try it too.:smile:

3. very interesting!

4. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Would your new filter fit over a small lens (52mm thread)?

I got stuck with bright sun after a dilation last year too. I feel your pain. Ugh!

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    No, it just barely fits over the flash head.

6. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Interesting, please post some images using the flash.

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Hmmm...sepia toned flash background and a non-gelled subject in color would look cool too.

Or...Speia toned subject and color background....

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    hummmmm well that is no fair
    Mine are grey
    Wonder what that would look like...lolol
    I want a refund

oh glad your eyes are great.

My eyes are getting older and cataracts.....

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    :biggrin: Now you know how our dogs feel when they have been to the vets for with an eye infection. :eek:

10. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Would love to see the results of this little experiment!

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Here are some samples

The first is regular flash, 2 sb800's, the D2x is set for 5600°K. All shots are large, fine jpegs, reduced for web. Minor levels adj and a little USM.

The next is with the sepia sunglasses over both flash units:

View attachment 87428

The last is the second shot, PP'd to desaturate:

View attachment 87429

For some reason, they look a little dark since I posted them on PBase, not sure why.

Anyway, it looks like these "filters" may have a use, I've got some interesting ideas, just need to go West and find an old ghost town.......

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am impressed
    Everyone will be buying sepia toned sunglasses by the scads at wal mart...lolol (and other colors)
    Yep cheaper than regular filters.

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I actually lucked out a while back, I was going to buy Nikon's set of gel filters for the SB800. I was at a local camera shop and scored a sample set of Lee filter gels. They are small, about 1"x3", and a whole bunch, their entire gel line. They will have to be taped to the flash head, but fit perfectly. I paid $6. I went back recently to get some more and was told the rest they had were thrown away during a recent move as they had been just sitting around for years. I've looked around, but can't find them anywhere, maybe they were salesman's samples........at least I have the one set, and now my sepia pair.

14. *LOL* Glad to hear your eyes are OK. Yes, having the pupils dilated in bright sunlight is NOT fun but the checkups are a good thing to have.

I was out shooting in May sunlight a few years ago with my Coolpix, and used my Serengeti's as a polarizing filter. If you don't have the camera set to AutoWB, it's gives a nice sepia tone, just like yours.

They'd be great on old buildings, etc!! Nothing like thinking outside the box, is there!!????? Good job!