Visiting Mackinac Island (MI) in July

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Hyper-Performance, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Appreciate recommendations of any and all points of interest to be sure to visit and attempt to capture the beauty. This will be our honeymoon (2nd time around for both of us) and planning a relaxing trip away from anything to do with hustle or bustle.

I have a distant relative that lives on the Island that if her health allows is going to show us some out-of-the way areas. And of course the yacht races are that week as well.

I'm sure there will be plenty of photo opportunities after all of the honeymooning bliss (yes I will share photos upon my return-of the island-get your mind out of the gutter)

Let me know what to look for, be sure to see, stay away from!

2. Dave, Make sure you see the Grand Hotel and the Fort. The harbor should offer some great opportunities. The only real thing you need to watch out for is the fudge. If you get bitten by the fudge monster it will cause extreme swelling of the body.

3. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Oh Fudge...dammit I forgot all about that....low fat, cholesterol free, no calories.....where do you want me to ship the box to you while I am there?

4. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    Harbor springs is a great place to see how the rich and famous live. Also, it you get time to see a sunset on Lake Michigan side, it really worth your time.

5. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    I enjoy the South Haven area - walk out the pier after dinner when I'm racing at Gingerman raceway. Have seen some of the most beautiful sunsets in my life there, always when I don't have the camera :frown: Need to do something about that!

6. Both forts are interesting...the one on the island and the one in Mackinaw City. If you get to the city, there's a neat park called Historic Mill Creek. The last time we were there they were very slowly building a log cabin (adding a few boards a day, during demonstrations). Mill Creek has easy hiking trails that take you past a beaver dam, through the balsam pines and amongst lots of neat birds and trees, depending on how far you want to go. You can finally tour the lighthouse just outside the fort in Mackinaw City too...they opened it up fairly recently.

We spend a lot of time hiking the trails in Wilderness State Park (in Mackinaw City) and St Ignace State Park (across the bridge.) St Ignace has the best pizza I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot...can't remember the name of the place, of course:biggrin:, but it's right on the water, right downtown. We ate there 3 out of 4 days on our last trip to the area.

The weekend the yacht race gets in is a bit insane...exciting, but huge numbers of people. If you love a crowd, definitely be on the island when the boats come in; otherwise I'd pick that time to go into Mackinaw City or St Ignace. We took our first trip to Mackinac about 10 years ago, the weekend the Chicago-to-Mackinac race ended. Since then we've been back nearly every year (sometimes more than once a year) in all seasons. It's a neat place, for sure.

7. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Thanks for the advice Sommer! We'll be arriving when most of the yacht chaos is heading back out.....I hope. We'll be spending most of our time on the island....we'll save trips to the mainland for another journey. I better get some bicycling practice in before then.....

8. When you are heading back down, check out the Sleepy Bear dunes along the coast, some great wildlife and scenery there as well.