Vista Graphics Driver Upgrade Issue

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by rotxlk82, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I have an Acer Aspire 5920G laptop which has an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. One day I was upgrading its drivers to the latest offering on the official Nvidia website and due to a glitch which I assume was completely unrelated Vista suffered a major crash and the installation was terminated.

Ever since whenever I have tried to install drivers the installer will not proced because I am apparently ‘not running Windows’. Does anyone know how I can fix this and install a fresh, working copy of the drivers onto my machine. I ask because I am getting all sorts of random errors where Vista says the display driver has crashed and needs to be recovered.

2. bobcool

bobcool

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    See if you can press the F8 function key during reboot and see if the "Last Known Good Configuration" choice restores you back to a state before you tried to install the new driver.

3. Another option is the system restore. Just pick a date prior to when you tried to install the driver.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Thanks both, I shall try these soon and report back on how it went.

I have tried Vista's roll back driver function and that didn't seem to acheive much.

5. You could also try installing the generic VGA driver and follow that by re-attempting to install the Nvidia.