Vista/IE7 and passwords

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Uncle Frank, May 31, 2007.

1. I go to the same pages, and sometimes IE7 will automatically fill in my login data, but sometimes (usually) it won't. It's as if I was visiting the page for the first time... but IE7 doesn't ask if I'd like it to remember the login data, as it does when I actually visit a page for the first time. It's a small thing, but this feature worked so well with XP, and every time it doesn't work with Vista, it makes me grind my teeth :Crunk:.

Any ideas other than dumping IE7?

2. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Have you tried unchecking and rechecking the box that specifies whether you want it to ask you for passwords? Sometimes that will kick it into gear....

I can't use IE7, it's incompatible with some stuff I do here, or I'd experiment for you....

3. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Sounds like something is goofy with your Vista setup, Frank. Most of the time, IE on Vista will work for me, but not always. But, it's about the same as IE was on XP. I don't think Vista is as reliable as XP sp2. I've reinstalled Vista about a dozen times now and can't get it to work as it should. Impatiently waiting for SP1..... :wink:

The Autocomplete section is in the internet tools and is where I believe this stuff is stored, in the Content menu tab. You might have a slightly corrupt file. You can delete that in that menu and start over, to see if that fixes your problem.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try a full Vista reinstall, if you don't have the thing loaded up with a lot of apps. If you don't want to go through that hassle, there are quite a few freeware apps that plugin to IE to do login and password retention with autofill. I haven't used any of them though, so can't advise a good one.

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I'm impatiently waiting for service pack two, as I wait for Vista. XP only please... :)

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    yeah, I regret having spent the money for the Vista retail version. :frown: If I could figure out a way to get a refund on Vista, I'd buy an OEM XP SP2 and forget about it.