1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Vista Tweak Thread

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by mdruiz, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    As I see more and more NikonCaferers...moving toward Vista. Maybe we should have a sticky of tweaks and tips on improving Vista performance.

Here are my tricks..

UAC ( User Account Control)- disable it. It just a extra step to prevent program from installing. If your the administrator, and your not going to those crazy website that installs program without your knowledge.Then you have nothing to worry about.

Slidebar- Disable it...it look nice, its cool..but its a memory HOG.

msconfig- type msconfig in the run box. Click on startup. This show all program that startup when the pc boots. Disable program like Yahoo Msg or any other messenger programs.

Increase the performance of your harddrive- click START type DEVICE MANAGER then hit Enter. Device Manager will pop up. Click on DISK DRIVES, right click on your hard drive, the click Policies. Then make sure Optimize for Performance is clicked. "Enable write caching on the disk" and "Enable advanced performance" is enabled.

Defrag- do it..like a oil change but more often..at least once a month.

More to come....

Update 9/23/2008

Disable unneeded protocols- Start-ControlPanel-Network and Sharing Center- ( on the left) click Manage network connections. Locate your network adapter. Right click on property's. On the network tab, you will see a Ip protocol call IPv6. This is IP version 6. NO ONE uses this except CHINA. Un-Check, the check box, then click ok. This will free up some resources.

Also do this for your wireless adapter if you have one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Good stuff - agree totally with the UAC disable

Here's another one
    To find out your system info (CPU, Memory, Pagefile etc) you used to type winmsd at the command prompt

the Vista command is msinfo32

3. Well actually here is a even better idea with regard to Vista.

A site that helps you out with tweaking Vista and turning off those services you do not need that are installed when the system boots.

Try this.. I have used it already on both my desktop and laptop and it works pretty well...
    http://www.blackviper.com/

4. Probably the single most effective boost for Vista performance it to eliminate all the 3rd party junk people put on it. I always preach this with my clients and we have ZERO issues and snappy performance.

For example ... Vista has a very good firewall built in that should always be turned "on" and used. Norton, McCafee, etc., provide products that run on top ... but do not provide any ADDITIONAL protection from the outside. They do provide more choices to set things up, more reporting, some additional ways to prevent you from doing something stupid, etc. But, if a bad guy is on the outside ... what's built in is just as effective.

RE halting the UAC ... I sort of agree. IF you are mindful of where you are surfing, what you are downloading and so on, it's probably OK. But, it is an additional layer of protection that is helpful. For example ... I just had to rebuild a XP PC for one of my clients because he went to a website and unknowingly downloaded a terrible little virus. By the time his AV caught it, it had already started running an executable by itself (since such little buggers have Admin privileges in XP - reason enough to upgrade to Vista). It simply ran in the background and he never knew about it until it was too late. UAC would have alerted him that it was present and prevented it from replicating itself. The AV system would have then caught it and fixed it without it causing any major damage. There's a reason our Mac friends brag about not needing an AV product ... the Mac OS essentially uses the same concept as UAC to prevent such bad stuff from getting inside and running by itself.

RE - software that "tweaks" Vista through the Registry. Remember that you are REALLY putting your faith in these 3rd party developers!! Not saying that this stuff is BAD ... just saying that playing around with non-MS tweaks can lead to issues down the road. Enjoy ... but be careful!!

Cheers!!

Ken

5. I recently purchased a Vista machine, and while trying to install photoshop CS2, I kept getting a message telling me that I didn't have permission to use the complete the install. It also told me to logon as ADMIN - and I was already logged on that way.

I just disabled the UAC and it appears that I'll be able to continue my install. Should I then re-activate the UAC once I'm finished with the software install??

On another note, I've only had Vista 2 days and so far I hate it!!!

6. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    UAC is user access control, this program prevents programs installing with administrator rights without your knowledge. As long you dont go to those "website" that might download a program..then your fine.

My recommendation...leave it off. Just remember...alot of people hated XP when it came out. Give it a chance...tweak it a bit...you will be fine

7. Frank207be

Frank207be

Mar 11, 2006
    Belgium
    I have UAC on and after a month of use it only pops up now and then :wink:

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    I have UAC on, and one of my Startup programs doesn't get loaded and I always need to give permission to run it. is there a way to permanently mark it as safe to run?

ricky

9. Just turn off UAC it is quite annoying to have it on and it also screws up your monitor calibrations...

10. Thanks Mike. I know I need to give it a little bit of a chance, but change isn't always easy to accept. :biggrin:

11. Thanks for posting all of this folks, i am on XP OS, but I bought a vista for my grans college, so I will be making use of this thread, as this is the first vista in the family.

12. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    One way to do this is right click on the exe file and there is an option to run as administrator. Just use that.

13. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I use the sidebar. It has many useful features that I use daily. Like a calender, weather bug. It doesn't use that many resources that could make a difference on my computer.

I found a great and free fast defrag program recently. Its AusLogistics disc defrag.
    Here is a link. http://auslogistics-disk-defrag.qarchive.org/

14. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It can use almost 100 MB of Memory

15. Very good idea to put up a thread about tweaking Vista ! Thanks !

Bookmarked it !

:smile:
    J-P.

16. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    If you use drop lets UAC has to be disabled or they will not work, as far as start up items use the programs preferences to tell them not to load at startup

17. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I don't use it any more, but when I did I found this Read Me file on how to improve things in Vista.

Top 10 Windows Vista Performance Tweaks

Windows Vista is a great looking operating system with some awesome features, but it can be slow as molasses unless you've got a hugely powerful PC to run it. For most computers however, a few quick Vista tweaks can make a massive difference in the speed of Vista for everyday use.

Here's our list of recommended Vista performance and speed tweaks:

1. Turn off Windows Search Indexing

Windows Vista search indexing is constantly reviewing files on your system to make their contents available for quick searching. This is handy, but can severely impact system performance.
    To disable this constant indexing:

* Click Start then Computer
    * Right Click the C: Drive
    * On General Tab, Uncheck Index this drive for faster searching
    * On the subsequent dialog box, Select Include subfolders and files

2. Turn off Remote Differential Compression

Remote Differential Compression measures the changes in files over a network to transfer them with minimal bandwidth rather than transferring an entire file that has previously been moved. By constantly checking for file changes, this service can hinder system performance.
    To disable this service:

* Open Control Panel
    * Switch to Classic View
    * Select Program Features
    * Choose Turn Windows features on and off
    * Scroll down and uncheck Remote Differential Compression

*Special Note: Windows Vista has the same tendency as XP to get bogged down with a bloated and corrupt Windows registry and file system. We strongly recommend keeping Vista running in optimum condition using an app like RegCure PC Optimizer: Free Download (Recommended)
    3. Turn off Automatic Windows Defender Operation

Windows Defender real-time protection against malware continues to run despite having Automatic operation disabled.
    To disable this feature:

* Open Control Panel
    * Select Windows Defender
    * Choose Tools from the top menu
    * Select Options
    * Uncheck Auto Start at the bottom of the window

4. Turn off Automatic Disk Defragmentation

Windows Vista and its always-on defragment feature isn't really that necessary and can cause system slow down. Just remember to run a defrag manually every week or so.
    To disable this:

* Right Click the C: Drive
    * Select the Tools Tab
    * Uncheck Run on a schedule

*Important: Keeping your hard drive defragmented is key to great system performance, but it's very important not to neglect Vista's core files, dll structure, and file/path reference system. PCTuneUpTips advises regular Vista system scans and maintenance with RegCure: Free Download (Highly Recommended)
    5. Add a 2GB or higher USB Flash drive to take advantage of Windows Ready Boost (Additional Memory Cache)

Ready Boost is Microsoft's name for using a USB thumb/flash drive to provide some quick access memory the operating system can use as extra RAM. The Ready Boost system can significantly improve system performance.
    To set this up:

* Insert a USB Flash Drive (preferably 2GB or more)
    * Right Click the USB Drive in My Computer
    * Select the Ready Boost Tab
    * Choose Use this device
    * Select as much space as you can free up for RAM usage vs. Storage

6. Turn off Windows Hibernation

Windows hibernation background services can use a large amount of system resources. If you don't use the Hibernate feature on a regular basis you may want to disable it to give Vista a performance boost.
    To disable Hibernation:

* Select the Control Panel then Power Options
    * Click Change Plan Settings
    * Click on Change Advanced Power Settings
    * Expand the Sleep selection
    * Expand the Hibernate After selection
    * Crank the selector down to zero
    * Click Apply

7. Turn off System Restore

Analysis and restore point creation by Windows Vista can eat a fair amount of system resources. Disabling this service will obviously mean the system restore feature in Vista will not be available in the event of a system crash. Change this at your own risk.

* Control Panel>System
    * Click System Protection on the left panel
    * Uncheck the main system drive
    * Agree to the confirmation

*Note: The best protection against ever needing to restore your PC is regular file cleaning and maintenance. We strongly recommend regular Vista error detection and repair scans using RegCure PC Optimizer: (#1 Recommended)
    8. Disable User Access Control (UAC)

This much-loathed new Vista feature attempts to protect your system from malware infection by making you manually confirm a whole host of everyday user operations. While it doesn't directly impact performance, it can be annoying and might be more hassle than good.
    To disable User Access Control:

* Click Start then Control Panel
    * Select User Accounts
    * Select Turn User Account Control on or off
    * Uncheck User Account Control Box
    * Restart as recommended

9. Disable excess Windows Services that Auto-Launch at Startup

Just like Windows XP, Vista ships with all kinds of services enabled that load at startup and may never be used by most users.
    To see what loads at startup and disable the ones you likely won't be needing (they can always be started manually later):

* Click Start then Control Panel
    * Select Administrative Tools
    * Choose System Configuration
    * Click the Services Tab
    * You can safely deselect:
    o Offline Files (unless you're using Offline File Sync)
    o Tablet PC Input Service (unless you have a tablet PC)
    o Terminal Services
    o Windows Search (If you have already disabled indexing)
    o Fax (unless you're using a fax modem)

*You can also control Windows Vista strartup programs very easily with RegCure:
    10. Disable Excess Windows Features

Windows ships with other features that are listed separately in the Vista operating system from the startup services.
    You can view and disable these features by:

* Clicking Start then Control Panel
    * Select Program Features
    * On the left panel, select Turn Windows Features on or off
    * You can safely deselect:
    o Indexing Service
    o Remote Differential Compression
    o Tablet PC Optional Components
    o Windows DFS Replication Service
    o Windows Fax & Scan (unless you use a modem for faxing)
    o Windows Meeting Space (unless you use the Live Meeting Service)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.