Viviparous lizard

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by alanhill, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Someone pointed this little chap out to me at a nature reserve a few weeks ago.

RisleyMoss006_371.

This young viviparous lizard was basking on a rotting log on a fairly cool cloudy day. It had a regular schedule of five or ten minutes of warming up, then ten minutes down in the long grass; then back to the log again.

RisleyMoss006_329.

It was quite easy to get these photos with my 300mm f/4. I could even do a little gardening by bending some grass stalks out of the way, while the lizard was off hunting.

RisleyMoss006_417.

The best opportunity came when the sun came out for a few minutes and I was able to shoot nearer the lizard's eye level.

RisleyMoss006_204.

Lacerta vivipara is sometimes called the common lizard, but it is no longer common in the UK - although it's by no means rare.
    This species is the hardiest of all reptiles: it is found well north of the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia and Russia.

Alan

2. Fremlin

Fremlin

Jan 29, 2006
    Scotland
    I found some of these near Loch Lomond in Scotland and was amazed that these little guys can survive up here.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images
    Thanks for the information to.

4. Thank you both. These lizards are quite small and they prefer places with fairly thick vegetation, so I was pleased to be able to get such unobstructed shots - but I think I could have done better. I guess I'll have to go back there again.

Alan