Vivitar 100mm 2.8 Macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by goodrich62, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Anybody have any experience with this lens?
    I have the Sigma 150mm 2.8 which I love and the Nikon 60mm which I also love.
    The 150 gives great working distance for small animals and the 60mm is just a joy and gives a little more play when handheld. Both Pat and I love shooting macro and I'm looking at one of the 90-105 lenses to give a little more working distance then the 60 but more handheld speed and sometimes too much working distance of the 150.
    The Nikon 105 non-VR is more then I want to spend. The Sigma, Tonika and Tamron all have great reviews but still have me fence sitting on cost for basically a lens that I can live without.
    I've seen the Vivitar come up a few times in the $100 plus range and wonder if it's worth the $.
    A $100.00 paper weight is still a paper weight. I already have a $500 dollar one, Tonika 40-400, :frown:
  2. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    thats one macro lens I havent heard anything about.
  3. If you want a good cheap $100 macro lens, you might consider the Lester Dine/Kiron 105 2.5, if you can find them still on eBay. I have a few of these and they are very well made, decent image quality. AIS type manual though.
  4. Beezle,
    That is the lens the few reviews I've found compare it against, to the point claiming it is the same lens re-branded.
    So I assume if not total BS it's a good lens.
  5. dlee79

Sep 2, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've heard good things about that lens. But in the end, I went for a Tamron 90mm.
  6. genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    I may be wrong, but this is what I've gathered in reading about the Vivitar macro lenses:

Reasonably sure:
    Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 == Kiron/Lester Dine 105/2.8 == Vivitar 100/2.8 (1:1)

Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 == Tokina 90/2.5 (1:2)
    Vivitar 100/3.5 == Cosina/Phoenix 100/3.5 (1:2)

Not that positive:
    Vivitar 90/2.8 == Panagor/Elicar 90/2.5 (1:1)

Though I could just be repeating misinformation, this is the best information I could find.
  7. I own the Vivitar Series 1 90, the Tokina ATX 90, the Kiron 105 and the Lester Dine 105.

The VS1 and the Tokina are similar, but they are definitely built very differently and I think even have slightly different lens elements. I disassemble them to clean and repair them.

What vintage is this Vivitar? I would think recent new lenses are completely different, except maybe the Tamron 90, which has a good reputation.

The one I want, if any, is that Sigma 150.
  8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

the tamron 90 macro can currently be had with a $90 rebate offering ...buydig to your door with rebate = $359
    i love this glass ...;-))
  9. I own/have owned the Vivitar Series 1 105mm 2.5 and the Vivitar 100mm 2.8 (not marked as a Series 1 lens).

They are both the same lens under the covers, and the same as the Kiron 105mm 2.8 and Lester Dine 105mm 2.8. Their serial numbers begin with "22" which indicate the Kiron source.

They all share the same quality Kiron construction, and the many-twists-of-the-focus-ring characteristic.

The differences are cosmetic. The Vivitar Series 1 105mm 2.5 has a big, rubberized focusing ring. The Vivitar 100mm 2.8 has a more conventional focusing ring.

The Vivitar 90mm 2.5 Series 1 is, of course, a different lens, made by Tokina.

These are all terrific, old lenses. They rival or even exceed modern macros in optical quality.
  10. JennJenn

JennJenn Guest

I just purchased a 100mm 2.8 macro lens (Vivitar) myself. I had a hard time trying to find out anything about it. Found a website that talked about it and he also said it was just as Big Daddy explained. Actually now a few people have told me if I don't want it they will purchase it from me. After that, i am thinking of keeping it. It is HEAVY too!!
  11. Congratulations! You will really enjoy the lens! The build quality is great, and is evident in the weight of the lens. The built-in, retractable lens hood is not quite as thick in the Vivitar 100mm 2.8 as it is with the Vivitar 105mm 2.5 Series 1, but it's still a substantial lens (nearly 22 ounces).

The main issues I've heard about the lens is that some have had aperture grease problems (supposedly a lot of Kirons did). If your aperture snaps shut quickly and opens cleanly, you're in good shape and you should have a keeper! (And even if not, there are some good repair sources.)

I found this site with old manuals. He doesn't have a manual for the Vivitar, but he does have them for the Kiron 105mm 2.8, which is pretty much the same lens:
  12. Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    I thought those two lenses were different. I could be wrong though.

Vivitar 90mm 2.8 (cost me $3)

13. genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Yup, as I said before, I not sure if those lenses are the same. I only have the Elicar 90, so I don't have a way to do a direct comparison.