Vivitar 273 useful?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by phecksel, Jun 10, 2007.

1. While going through my dad's old camera stuff, came across a vivital auto thyristor 273. Can this be used in anyway with my SB800 and D50?
  2. I'm pretty sure one of those little remote trigger add-ons could fire it along with the signal from the SB800 but you'd have to ask them first to be sure. Can't find a link at the moment, but I'll look around a bit.

These guys have some stuff that should help... :
    They list the 285, but maybe just because it's more common. I would guess it would be similar, couldn't hurt to ask. ~M.
  3. chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    I own a 285HV. I believe the 283 did not come standard with the adjustable power dial mounted on the front that comes on the 285 (Vari-power module, I think it's called). It can be purchased separately however, if you can find one. You can occassionally find them on Ebay.

Otherwise it can be fired with any triggering device (optical slave, RF transmitter, or wired) as with any other flash. Note also that Vivitar has a proprietary wired connection which is different from the standard PC connector. Many of them have a PC/Vivitar cord that came with the original flash.

Word to the wise - especially with the older Vivitar flash units - many of them have VERY HIGH TRIGGER VOLTAGES that can turn your DSLR into a smoking paperweight:mad:. It is reported widely enough that I believe the reports! You should avoid any direct wired connection to your camera or putting it on the hotshoe until either (a) you test it yourself or (b) you can find reliable information that your particular model is safe!
  4. It has some sort of rotating dial on the side. Appears to have a F stop adjustment.

I have the SB800 to put on the camera :) The link recommended a specific trigger, and will take a look at one.
  5. chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    The dial on the side...

The dial on the side is a "calculator" and doesn't affect settings of the flash. If you read a manual for this flash (I have a pdf copy), it explains how to use it. This is a old design, from well before modern electronic flashes. The dial helps the photog set the flash up correctly for autoexposure mode.

(I think) that it works something like this... You set turn the dials to the "ASA" (ISO) setting, and the range to the subject (the colors on the autoexposure "thyristor" dial on the front). The calculator tells you what fstop to use at the camera's highest sync speed.

Hope this helps...
  6. Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    The 273 did come with it both mine had them plus modules I purchased for it