1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Vivitar 550FD?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Bolts, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    A relative handed me a free Vivitar 550FD (and a couple of ancient manual lenses) to use with my D80. The flash looks to be in great shape, doesn't have a scratch on it, although it must be 20 years old.

Can I mount it on my D80, or will my D80 blow up? I searched the web and found nothing useful on this flash.

Thanks!

Edit - Ok, did some more searching. I have the Nikon compatible 550FD (with the little tiny microscopic N on the back.) I understand that the D80 might only work in A or M mode if the flash works (which is no problem.)

So, can I use it, you think? It would be really convenient since I PROMISED myself I wouldn't buy any new camera stuff until April 2009. (ouch.)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Here is a site that will give you quite a bit of info on strobe voltages, how they were derived and much more.
    <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>.
    I believe it has been listed here before or maybe on one of the other forums so I apologize if I am being redundant.

This list is by manufacturer by model.

Max

3. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the link, Max. I did do quite the search here, but came up with very little and have not found this link, so you're golden.

Ok, looking at the chart, I get this for the 550FD:

8V, according to Ted Felix —
    only 4.24V, per Stephen Sugiyama, and
    5V per Timothy Horn (serial 0031524) — but
    6.66V from Rick Zotz, 7.5V from Tri Do, and
    10.18V (serial 5031715) by John D. Duvall...

Now I know next to nothing about voltages, but research is telling me that my D80 is rated up to 250 volts.

So this sounds like a no brainer to me, but then again, I just might have no brain.

Any ideas?

4. Glad you found the site. I think the variation in voltages is dependent on the type of meter being used to measure the voltage. I would expect a wide range.

I have a D80 but never checked on the trigger voltage rating. If your research shows 250V then you should be OK. Of course that is your D80 and not mine!!:biggrin: But I believe it would be safe.

You might go to www.nikonusa.com and click on support to do a search of the Knowledge base with this question. If you do not get a hit, you can ask the question and usually get a response within 24 hours.

Max

5. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, the difference between '6' and '250' sounds a bit fishy, but apparently there's voltage and then there's trigger voltage.

I got zilch on the NikonUSA support questions on the search, so I had to post my own question. Answer should be back in 24 hours; I'll be back to my machine on Monday to pick it up. I'll be dying from curiosity all weekend.

Thanks for the second link! Have a good weekend. Hope you aren't getting too much Hanna rain.

6. According to the results obtained by quite a few people there it seems to be safe enough even for a compact . I used a flash with 12 volt trigger voltage on my Cannon G6 . Trigger voltages vary greatly but it seems the SLR's can handle 250v . I have an old sunpak G4500 flash that takes 6 batteries and triggers at 6.8 volts and once bought a bunch of second hand flashes and checked them all - one small older type flash had a 110 volt trigger voltage so there is a huge variety out there .
    Then again if it was faulty ........:Teeth:................. [maybe you could get hold of a multimeter , turn the flash on and test from the centre pin to the side [ground] contact and be sure ]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.