VOB File Conversion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nuccifamily, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Do any of you techno-files know of a free or cheap software package to convert a .vob file to a format (.avi, .mov, .mpg, etc.) that I can manipulate in Ulead Video? I am creating a video and have some DVDs that parents have given me, but they are in .vob format and I can not convert. Recommendations? Thoughts? Websites that might help?

2. Anthony,

I remember reading somewhere that you can rename a vob file as an mpg and the only thing that is lost are text and subtitles - it remains a valid sound file since it uses the same compression as mpg. Not sure if that helps, but...

Sean

3. I use DIVX Converter Pro 6.21 to convert mine. You can set the compression, file size etc. I convert all my movies to 700MB AVI files to play on the laptop when I'm up at the lake. Good quality product, simple user interface.

4. Sorry, I never did see these responses. Thanks to both of you. LBM - I tried this based on something I read on another forum. But, it didn't work. TOLady - Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up purchasing something else that did the job.