Voigtländer APO Lanthar 180 thread - share your experience

I was very lucky to find one of the extremely rare Voigtländer APO Lanthar 180 f/ 4 lenses in mint condition recently.
After testing it, I finally decided to sell my Nikkor 180 f/ 2,8 ED AI-S because the Voigtländer is such a nice lens and I don`t need this focal length covered with two mf lenses.
As regards picture quality, build quality and handling, it is on par with my Zeiss ZF lenses. This is really astonishing considering the comperatively low price of the lens. And its small seize and light weight (though it is metal) make it THE ideal travel telephoto lens.
Although the lens is "just" f/ 4, it is easy to throw the backgrounds out of focus due to the minimum focus distance of only 1.2 meters. The lens is very sharp, skins tones are pleasing, and the rendering of the bokeh is very creamy.
To give examples and show what I found out about the Voigtländer APO Lanthar 180, here are some of the pictures I took with this wonderful little lens and a Nikon D 700:

At f/ 5.6:

Meilinger-Voigtlaender-180-05 von Fineart537 auf Flickr[/IMG][/URL]

> This small lens does not cause attention, and thus you are able to take nice street pictures :smile:.

At f/ 4:

Meilinger-Voigtlaender-180-03 von Fineart537 auf Flickr[/IMG][/URL]

> The APO Lanthar is a very sharp lens. I took this picture without a tripod, and am therefore quite lucky with the result. So far I didn`t use it with an extension ring, but I will try that out later.

At f/ 4:

Meilinger-Voigtlaender-180-04 von Fineart537 auf Flickr[/IMG][/URL]

> I really like the colors this lens produces.

At f/ 5.6:

Meilinger-Voigtlaender-180-02 von Fineart537 auf Flickr[/IMG][/URL]

> Again, quite sharp for a handhold photo.

At f/ 4:

Meilinger-Voigtlaender-180-01 von Fineart537 auf Flickr[/IMG][/URL]

> I am always amazed when I see the creamy bokeh of this f/ 4 lens. This one is also handhold.

At f/ 4:

Meilinger-Voigtlaender-180-06 von Fineart537 auf Flickr[/IMG][/URL]

> Though it is an f/ 4 lens, focusing is not too difficult. I really like the colors of this lens.

Enjoy!

And please do share your personal impressions and individual experience with this beautiful little lens!

All the best,

I was very lucky to find one of the extremely rare Voigtländer APO Lanthar 180 f/ 4 lenses in mint condition recently.

Curious if you mind sharing how much the lens cost you. Realize it is a personal question and don't feel obligated to answer. I had looked for this lens and the 125mm a little more than a year ago and didn't find anything.

Thanks

Jim G

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious if you mind sharing how much the lens cost you. Realize it is a personal question and don't feel obligated to answer. I had looked for this lens and the 125mm a little more than a year ago and didn't find anything.

Thanks

Jim G

Hi Jim,

I have sent you a pm.

Best,

Have always loved the SL1 and SLII Cv glass. Sold my 180/4 in a fit of stupidity last year - have another copy on the way thankfully. Nice shots and congrats on a great lens. As you say small, nice mechanics, very, very sharp, great CA control and like the 90/23.5 and 125/2.5 APOs, buttery bokeh.

One of my favourites as well.

Some examples:

p278618264-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p557052133-5.jpg

p725246238-5.jpg

It's light, it's solid and it's APO :smile:

Hi Bart,

you name it :smile:.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures! #1 is my favourite!

Best,

Have always loved the SL1 and SLII Cv glass. Sold my 180/4 in a fit of stupidity last year - have another copy on the way thankfully. Nice shots and congrats on a great lens. As you say small, nice mechanics, very, very sharp, great CA control and like the 90/23.5 and 125/2.5 APOs, buttery bokeh.

Thank you for the kind words, Conner999! I really appreciate it.
I am really looking forward for your pictures when you are getting your APO Lanthar!

Best,

Curious to owners of this lens... since I can't seem to find a local retailer that carries Voigtlander lenses... what is this lens worth new? It's a very intriguing lens for me right now...

A clean Voigt 180/4 price range is USD1000-1300.

Wow. I had no idea. I bought mine new from Stephen Gandy when he still had them in stock about 4-5 years ago. Paid less than $500 if I recall correctly.

This lens to me is fantastic. I love the sharpness wide open, the wonderful bokeh and the close focus. It is compact and a pure joy to use.

Unfortunately, I purchased the Nikkor 180 f/2.8 AF a few years ago and have hardly used the Voigtlander. :frown:

While the Voigtlander is the superior lens from a color/bokeh standpoint, the Nikkor is really magnificent as well and it has auto focus that is snappy and consistent, not to mention the extra speed. And I paid ~$250 bucks for it.

But even though I don't use it much, I really don't think I have a desire to sell it.

Craig

Here is one for sale too:

https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/voigtlaender-nikon-ais-1804-apolanthar-p-3632.html

Here is a recent one wide open (and cropped somewhat);

DSC_0770.gif

And here some older pictures:

View attachment 919201

View attachment 919202

View attachment 919203

View attachment 919204

Johan,

Love the shot of the girl in the hat. Superb.

I sold my CV 180 when I purchased my CV 125.
It was an expense justifying move that I wish I hadn't made. :frown:

Update: I bought back my CV 180! Eye trouble made manual focus a no-go for my buyer/seller, so it's now mine again. :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom