1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Voigtlander 4/180mm Apo-Lanthar, any experiences?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by johan1967, Aug 9, 2008.

1. johan1967

johan1967

Jun 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    I just ordered a brand new Voigtlander for Nikon Ai-S 4/180mm Apo-Lanthar SL close on Ebay. According to a review on photozone.de this should be a fantastic lens. I pulled the trigger based on this review. I now would like to know if anyone has expierence with this lens and if it is possible to show some pictures?

2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

I've honestly never heard of it.....

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I've not heard a lot about this glass. I had to do a fair bit of searching to find out anything about it.

I couldn't find any samples of PBase, however a search on Flickr did reveal a handful of samples http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Voigtlander+180+nikon&s=int

It seems like good glass, I wonder how it compared to the Nikkor 180mm AF

4. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

hmmm.... well the MTF chart looked decent but IDK if i could own a MF lens for the line of work i'm in .... be sure to post up your thoughts when you have some time to play with it !

5. rondd5

rondd5

Jun 12, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, I'm the rondd5 from Flickr and I also have the nikon 180 2.8..Two totally different lenses. The voigtlander is lighter and smaller. It is sharp and has that voigtlander build. The hood is not my favorite but it does the job. I just shot some more with it today..A nice light tele...and it is a f/4.

6. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Romeo

Romeo

May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    I have one and its amazing. I mainly like the color rendition and creamy bokeh. The bokeh is comparable to 85mm f1.4 and Voigtlander 125 f2.5 Macro (I sold it few months ago). It is also tack sharp. I used it on a wedding yesterday.

8. Its a great lens Johan, packs alot in a small package. It beats Nikons 180's from F/4. I also have the Nikkor 180/2,8 ais wich i find great aswell. But from F/4 the Voigtländer has better contrast and is sharper, the bokeh is great aswell.

And offcourse its a APO lens so you dont get any ca from it, as you do with the Nikkor (even @*F/4) not that its ever bothered me though.

9. One fairly recent snap with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  10. johan1967

johan1967

Jun 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thank you all for your very appreciated input. It seems the Voigtlander is a fine lens. Now I only have to wait until UPS delivers it. :smile:

11. I just acquired the 180 APO as well and from all (limited) use so far looks great. Small, light, easy focus (judging from my 90/3.5 APO loosens up nicely over time), well built. Sharp as a tack, nice bokeh.

12. johan1967

johan1967

Jun 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    UPS delivered the lens last thursday. I had just little time to work with it, but today I took it with me to one of the best theme parks in the world (Efteling in the Netherlands) and there I made one or two portraits of my daughter. I used a D200, aperture is F4 and no post-sharpening done. In the camera I always use medium-high sharpening. Hereby one of the results.

DSC_0287.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I now think this is really a very good lens. Colours are nice, contrast is good, built like a tank, it is easy to focus and wide open at F4 it is already very sharp. I have no regrets at all buying it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  13. Very interesting looking lens.

It looks great but it's a beast when extended.

I'd love to see images and hear your thoughts once you've shot with it a bit.

EDIT: Ooops. Didn't see that you had posted.

NICE IMAGE!

14. Glaudus

Glaudus

Aug 6, 2008
    Belgium
    Thanks Johan for this thread.
    I have just bought a new Voigtlander 180mm on Ebay.
    I will try to post some pics upon receipt.
    In the meantime, please feel free to post new pics.

Arnaud

15. johan1967

johan1967

Jun 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    So you are the guy that paid more than 900 dollars? :biggrin: :smile:

I don't use this lens that often, but when I use it I am very happy with the results. Here some recent pictures with my D200:

DSC_0368.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 237926

View attachment 237927

16. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im not sure about this lens, but the photographs in this thread are amazing.

18. TstarJ

TstarJ

Jul 9, 2008
    Eastern Ontario
    The Voigtlander 180/4 APO is a truly amazing gem. I can't believe they were asking less than $400 for a brand new back in 2005.

Jack

19. Glaudus

Glaudus

Aug 6, 2008
    Belgium
    Thanks to all.
    I 've got mine new for €505. I know it is more expensive than its price few years ago but I think, when I see your pics that it remains acceptable for such a lens.

Arnaud

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.