Voigtlander 58 F1.4 Nokton - "Unofficial Thread"

Do you remember the thread below, from a while back...?

Nikon 58 F1.2 Noct - "Unofficial Thread"
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=221998

Well, that was 4 years ago...since then i used the Nikon Noct alot....and i do mean alot...so much i almost stopped using it when i bought a Nikon 105 F2.5....one thing doesn't replace the other but i needed the change. I ended up doing the unthinkable and sold it on Ebay....re-bought a Sigma 50 F1.4 which i always loved and found to be the closest thing possible to the Noct and that was that.....but after a while it just didn't match the feel from a dedicated MF lense nor the same built quality....and the bokeh, no matter how perfect on the Sigma, it missed something i can't really put my finger on and i knew i had it on the Noct, specially on the transition from focus to out-of-focus areas...

Not wanting to pay the current Noct prices, i dug in bit to find something more about a lense i really didn't pay much attention when i had the Noct, nor did i found back then, any photo that made me say "wow...now that's what i call something special....!"
That lense is the Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton…same focal-length as the Noct (it does make a difference compared to the Sigma’s 50mm…), similar aperture ( F1.2 vs F1.4, not much difference…) and heck….they even called Nokton (sounded like a bit of a compliment to the Noct, when I had one….marketing maybe..?)

After seeing some mixed (confusing?) reviews (from the few ones available) and finally seeing some promising photos that popped into my retina as a dejá-vu that made the words “Noct” spring into mind, I ended up searching Ebay for a low-milleage sample….and got one….

Initial impressions....built quality is great, i love metal lenses and specially dedicated MF ones...using MF on a more "modern" design lense just doesn't have the same feel. I bought the one with the rubber focus-ring since it would be cheaper then getting the newer versions, with a different metal focus-ring. Mine came with 2 different lens-hood, courtesy of the previous owner...these are bought separately and don't come cheap...

So far, i'm finding the sharpness wide-open is superb, the bokeh is really, really good, not as smooth as the Sigma 50 F1.4 on the transition from focus to oof, but this is a positive trait in my book and really close (or similar ?) to the way the Noct renders oof areas...contrast and overall colour is actually more interesting than what i got from the Nikon and it also seems to work a bit better in daylight. Btw, i still haven't had the time to go out at night and used it, but that will come soon....also from some of the photos i saw taken by others at night, some of which helped me to make my final decision that this was THAT close to the Noct and the way for me to go....

Just to start this thing....here you have 2 photos taken in different moments, different places, but similar angle...one was taken when i had the Noct and it is F1.2, the other with the Nokton at F1.4.....could you tell which is which...well, i've tried but can't, even having about 4 years of intensive use with the Nikon...

Photo 1
dsc2684ho.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo 2
dsc0147ar.jpg

Four more photos....not so similar, but also from the Noct at F1.2 and the Nokton at F1.4...

Photo 3
dsc2393q.jpg

Photo 4
dsc4789n.jpg

Photo 5
dsc1574up.jpg

Photo 6
dsc2704x.jpg

Can you guess which lense took each photo....? Take your pic...

Now for some initial photos from a couple of days of use...

dsc2600d.jpg

dsc2513c.jpg

dsc2608hl.jpg

dsc2360z.jpg

dsc2530j.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
dsc2562t.jpg

dsc2634h.jpg

dsc2446l.jpg

dsc2630o.jpg

dsc2379uc.jpg

dsc2394u.jpg

dsc2553a.jpg

I'd have to guess that the fussier bokeh shots - the second of each in the series - is from the Voigtlander?

It's the pother way around.

I'd have to guess that the fussier bokeh shots - the second of each in the series - is from the Voigtlander?

I can absolutely tell the difference. The odd number photos are from the Voight and the evens are with the Nikon Noct. The bokeh in the Noct is unique.

Sorry guys....but as i've said, even i, having extensively used a Noct, can't really put my finger on which is which, hadn't i taken these photos...and i mixed them in no particular sequence just to make my point...

So here it goes....

Photo 1 - Voigtlander
Photo 2 - Nikon
Photo 3 - Voigtlander
Photo 4 - Nikon
Photo 5 - Nikon
Photo 6 - Voigtlander

The bokeh on the Noct is amazing, for sure...but it was never perfect, it also as some "fuzziness" on the busiest backgrounds....same goes for the Voigtlander....still learning this one, but it seems like it's really is as close as it can get, at least so far....and it's sharper too...:wink:

Interesting. I like the Voightlander images better.

And, you went on to post a number of really terrific shots. I have to start using my CV 58 more often!

I recently picked up the CV 58 f.14 used and so far am very happy, while still working on the MF with these old eyes. Your images make me want to get out and put it to more use.

Nice photos of a classic sport bike!!
Thanks...i have heaps of photos of my ZXR...it was hard to find one in decent condition...21 years old and hiding well its age...:smile:

Interesting. I like the Voightlander images better.

And, you went on to post a number of really terrific shots. I have to start using my CV 58 more often!
Thanks! It's funny isn't it ? I never expected it to perform this well and it's making my sellers remorse from selling the Noct (nonetheless a trully amazing lense that i doubt i'll be buying agin at current prices....) going away...i'm really keen on using it more often and discovering its full potential.

I recently picked up the CV 58 f.14 used and so far am very happy, while still working on the MF with these old eyes. Your images make me want to get out and put it to more use.
Well, get out and use it :smile:....it's a great piece of glass that will allow you to take some really nice shots.

That shot of your son (maybe?) with his arms crossed is simply incredible....one of the nicest portraits of a child I've seen posted here!

Here is I shot I took with my V58 [on a D3] about a year ago. Wish I cold always nail focus as you have in these shots of yours Sandro, ispecially your son!

OhThoseEyes_8541.jpg

Sandro, I am just doing some research on this lens to learn some more about it and it appears that there are a few variants around. Which one specifically did you shoot with?

Sandro, I am just doing some research on this lens to learn some more about it and it appears that there are a few variants around. Which one specifically did you shoot with?

The box says Nokton 58mm F1.4 SLII, it looks like the one below....

(image taken from the web)
nokton_58mmf1_4_m_800.jpg

As far as i know, there is a newer version which is optically identical, but has a metal focus ring instead of the rubberized one.

It's been almost two years since someone wrote something about the Voigtlander Nokton. I remember it having a thread of it's own, but can't seem to find it. I had it for a couple of months with a Nikon D90. Sold it because MF was just undoable with the tiny viewfinder. Since buying a D600 I've had a voice in my head., nagging about how good the Voigtlander was when I focused it correctly and how nice the colors were. Today I finally found one on the Dutch version of ebay. So hopefully later this week, I'm going to be contributing to this forum once more :O)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom