Critique Volleyball Pics

Real Name
Bill
I was asked to take shots of the two Seniors on our towns High school volleyball team. These will be made into posters and presented to them at their last game.
Seeing as I no longer have my 70-200 f2.8 and don't own a flash and I've never shot in a gym I didn't know what to expect.
Here's the final product. I wound up using my D4s and 70-300p.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Volleyball is tough. At least for me, it is.
Druing a game, I find it very difficult to get either of the forward spikers in a good position and still get a clear shot of their face.
I will sometimes shoot #1 from the opposite side of the court, to try to get her face. But then you have the other two forwards between you and the subject. And odds are good that they will get in the way of the shot, blocking the view of the spiking forward on the other side of the court.​
So I go up the bleachers to just below the top of the net, to shoot over the heads of the other two forwards. But then I loose the low angle view.​

#1 - I like the arched body, like "cocking the gun," or compressing a spring.
That arched body disappears when they HIT the spike, as in #2.

Shooting through the net sometimes works, but usually doesn't.

I've been tempted to do a staged shot, with me in front of the net, and the spiker going a little further back and spiking over my head. But a mis-hit could be VERY painful in my face and with a broken camera. :eek:

I like your low angle shot.

Real Name
Bill
Volleyball is tough. At least for me, it is.
Druing a game, I find it very difficult to get either of the forward spikers in a good position and still get a clear shot of their face.
I will sometimes shoot #1 from the opposite side of the court, to try to get her face. But then you have the other two forwards between you and the subject. And odds are good that they will get in the way of the shot, blocking the view of the spiking forward on the other side of the court.​
So I go up the bleachers to just below the top of the net, to shoot over the heads of the other two forwards. But then I loose the low angle view.​

#1 - I like the arched body, like "cocking the gun," or compressing a spring.
That arched body disappears when they HIT the spike, as in #2.

Shooting through the net sometimes works, but usually doesn't.

I've been tempted to do a staged shot, with me in front of the net, and the spiker going a little further back and spiking over my head. But a mis-hit could be VERY painful in my face and with a broken camera. :eek:

I like your low angle shot.
Thanks. The first girl was a bit easier to get. Small crowd and a bigger gym so I was able to move around. The second girl was at a big tournament so my positioning was very limited and even 70mm was too much.

I usually shoot with either a 35 or 50mm f/1.8 lens on a DX camera. And I am still up at ISO 3200.
I tried the 70-200, and on a DX camera, it is too long for many shots at my gym, and has very limited use.

Real Name
Bill
I usually shoot with either a 35 or 50mm f/1.8 lens on a DX camera. And I am still up at ISO 3200.
I tried the 70-200, and on a DX camera, it is too long for many shots at my gym, and has very limited use.
If I'd have known how tight it was going to be at the second game I would have brought the 24-70 2.8.

My hats off to the pros who shoot stuff like this everyday. I'll stick to wildlife.

I like the action in the first shot, but I really don't like the post processing. If you are going to try and do that to the background, I lot more work is going to need to be done. Around the ball just jumps off the screen, the top of the attackers head, and along the shoe line of the other player. It be best not to take such a drastic measure to try and clean up the background.

Real Name
Bill
I like the action in the first shot, but I really don't like the post processing. If you are going to try and do that to the background, I lot more work is going to need to be done. Around the ball just jumps off the screen, the top of the attackers head, and along the shoe line of the other player. It be best not to take such a drastic measure to try and clean up the background.
Thanks for the feedback. My goal was to isolate the player versus a very busy background. Ideally a f2.8 or lower lens might have done the work for me. At the shutter speed I was using to keep the noise down the ball has some blur around the edges.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom