VR and Low-light/Long Exposures

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by petert053, Dec 1, 2005.

1. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    There's a parallel thread working with the discussion on the Nikkor VR lenses. I have a question that's a little more "practical experience".

I wanted to know if anyone has used any VR lens for low-light/night shots. I've been thinking about this new "street zoom" 18-200mm VR that's due out soon. I was thinking that it might help my night shots by stablizing my camera's image... but, since I don't own any VR's, I'm wondering if it's worth investing in.

I out shooting with some Canon friends of mine :eek:, they used their Canon IS lenses from the center span of a heavily travelled bridge that we were shooting from - the images came out pretty good, while mine had a noticable "bounce" to them -- from the heavy traffic passing behind us. I could feel it at my feet every time a large truck passed... and when I got home, it was evident in my pictures too. Would a VR have prevented that little "giggle" from showing up in my images? ...even at night in low light and long (10-30sec) exposures?

Thanks for your comments!!

2. marc

marc Guest

hi peter

vr, set on active if available, is directed toward shooting in moving vehicles etc

so it may have helped on the bridge, you still need to hold the camera pretty steady

vr is designed to do what you describe, good luck

3. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    We were using tripods at the time. I was actually impressed with the shots they got over what I was getting... lens envy... have you personally tried a VR and long exposures?

4. marc

marc Guest

there is some discussion, that vr on tripod, will cause motion blur.

i have never seen this, when 80-400vr came out, this may have been the case.

i own 80-400, 70-200, 24-120 have never bothered turning vr off

always use in normal mode and shoot away.

if vr is causing a problem, i have never detected this.

when hand holding 70-200, it is pretty heavy and in windy conditions, cause jiggle quite a bit, you can hear and feel the vr.

i personally, pay no attention, just do what i am doing.

vr, does its thing.

try shooting on tripod with vr on and off, you decide if it is a problem.

i do not think it is.

if the bridge is moving vr on tripod certainly will help

5. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    thanks for the tips... I'm just trying to decide if this kind of lens is worth investing in for the kind of shots I like to take... I'm thinking so at the moment.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Precision Photo (On Lamar) has both a 70-200VR and 80-400VR that they rent on a daily basis (at least their website says they do!). May be worth a few bucks to get hands-on.

8. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Cool!! I'll check that out! Thanks for the tip!

9. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Paint me stupid!

I don't think I had all ores in the water... B&H shows a major difference in price between the Tamron 18-200mm and the Nikkor 18-200mm VR. Still, I think the VR might be worth the $380 price difference... ok... back to remedial math...

10. VR Rules.
    It's that simple :smile:
    Remember, you can consider low-light/long exposures with a lens like that to be anything slower than 1/effective focal length. So from 1/30 to 1/300 with the 18-200 VR depending on zoom.
    I'll put it to you this way.
    I just shot a play tonight. 70-200 VR. ISO 500,640,800; from 1/30 to 1/100 sec f/2.8-4.5.
    Mostly it was shot at 640 or 800, 1/40-1/50 sec, f/4 +/- 1/3 stop.
    Handheld all of it.
    The results? a tiny number of shots lost due to the low shutter speed causing subject motion blur.
    Any time that my shutter speed stopped the actors, the shot came out critically sharp.