VR cut-off shutter speed

I can't found any mention in the manual of when VR will be cut-off, in terms of shutter speed. i.e. does it make sense or of any practical use to have VR on at say 1/250, 1/500, or even higher.

I am more referring to the longer lens, e.g. the 70-300 VR at the longer end of the zoom.

Has anyone heard or read about this particular topic? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan

I normally use 1/(focal length x 2.5) as my marker for when to safely disable VR as it is probably not making any difference. So on the long end of my 70-200mm, it would be at 1/500s. Of course, it depends on how steady your hands are, and whether you are photographing static or moving subjects.

Last edited by a moderator:
My VR does not cut off at any speed.
If I had to shoot birds at slow speeds I would give up the whole thing.

I don't think the Nikkor VR lenses have any automatic cutoff mechanism for higher shutter speeds; in fact I don't think the lens has any way of knowing what shutter speed the camera has set.

I make it a practice to leave VR on for all hand-held shots, as I see no reason not to. I do turn it off when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Yes, some don't seem to notice the effect on boke that VR can have, but with a moving subject when also panning, it can be nasty

So that's what you were getting at with your linked photo. Sorry, I didn't get it. I guess I'm one of your "some" :redface: .

I hardly ever do panning shots any way, so that is not a concern for me.

Paul, wouldn't you have the camera on a tripod with a 500mm lens?

Paul, I never noticed that before. Have to do some tests with on and off to see the difference. Thanks for pointing that out. Since I always shoot from the kayak, I always leave it on.

VR can do funny things at some shutter speeds (example - note the b/g appearance) - didn't really need VR, but was hand-held, so thought I might.
I have noticed the background effect as well, but weren't sure whether it was due to VR. Having seen the example above, I think it is a side effect of VR, as can be seen with this shot below.

D2C_032780.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The main reason I asked is regarding higher speed shooting, whether VR adds any value. I find it tends to slow things down so can get in the way with action shots. I am curious as to whether the camera communicates with the lens when the shutter is released to "shut off" VR at shutter speed higher than a certain threshold, there is no mention in the manual regarding this.

VR II has two modes, normal and active. Normal is usable for panning, while active will compensate for constant vibration, e.g. in a car or train as mentioned in the manual.

Regards,
Jonathan

All VR (I and II) have Normal and Active modes. I don't think the VR gets shut-off at higher speeds - it is active all the time.

All VR (I and II) have Normal and Active modes. I don't think the VR gets shut-off at higher speeds - it is active all the time.
Somehow I had the impression that the Active mode is a VR II enhancement, as there is only an on/off switch for VR on the 24-120 VR. But looking at Thom Hogan's review on the 70-200 VR, there "is" an Active switch. Must be a VR I.5 feature...

I came to the conclusion that VR is always on regardless of shutter speed, just not 100% sure. Thanks for the confirmation Simon.

Regards,
Jonathan

Latest threads

Top Bottom