VR Does Dirt! (4 photos)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by cajun angel, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Well dunno how else to put the title! We went out today in 43F weather, and don't mind tellin ya, IT WAS COLD! I had fun though with my 18-200 VR and all the dirtbikers and atv's that were out there - I couldn't believe the number of people out there! Despite the cold, there were kids playing in the mud! Hope I did okay with these - the lighting was tough, had a hard time with trying to avoid blown highlights and such. And it's been quite a while since I shot dirbikers and atv's!

MX Mark!
    448955598_06f8a9e1e6_b.

MX Mark again!
    448955626_d1722249d2_b.

Big Bad MX Mark on the Raptor 700
    View attachment 88939

How about a bit of mud! I'd hate to have to do their laundry!LOL!
    View attachment 88940

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Looks pretty good, Dianne. I like the third the most since it appears to be the one with the nicest exposure. The first two are composed well, but aren't real sharp. I would be curious to know your settings for the first two. Was the VR option turned on? You are improving steadily, your images are proof positive.

3. Dianne,

I think you did fine with these. Those two in the last picture...did you get any headshots after their spin?

4. Way to go!!! Looks like a fun day inspite of the weather. I think you did a great job

5. Frank, in all honesty, I haven't the foggiest! The wind was blowing dust into my eyes making them water, and the VR was always on - I do know that much! I kept trying to check my settings but it was tough. Besides I'm rusty!

LOL, Mason I think I did, I'll have to look through my shots again. Believe me, they were funny and had to go home in assuming what was their boxers or undies :confused: :biggrin:

Yeah, it was a lot of fun but just too darned cold! There had to be over 30 bikers - dirt and atv's out there.

6. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Great shots Dianne!! Did not know the 18-200 was capable of these kind of shots!!

7. Thanks! LOL, neither did I! It was tough though! The weather was so cold, the wind was blowing dust in my eyes making them water and I just had a hard time of it BUT still managed to have fun.

8. Awesome shots! Glad to se some fellow 2-stroke dirtbikers around!

<~~ 2000 Honda CR 500R rider here! :smile:

9. Thanks! Mark's bike is a kawasaki 250? I can never remember! We all have atv's too. I have more photos I may post - some of the kids but I'm way too tired to worry with it tonight. Besides, MX Mark wants to look em all over! LOL! It was fun out there but man, it was COLD!

10. Nice greenery around the track! I'm assuming thats a motocross track anyway.
    Mine is in a desert like climate, and all you get is dust! (makes for some good dust explosions on corners!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Great shots Dianne. Where are the helmets in shot 4?! Do they need a lecture on head injuries, LOL?

These look good overall. Nice action!

13. Thanks Joshua! (that's my youngest's name too! BTW) I usually don't photograph anyone not wearing their gear, but these guys/kids were so funny going through the same mud over and over again, I couldn't resist a few shots! You can rest assured MY kids do not go without their gear on! And they're good about telling daddy "no helmet, no ride!" I know I need tons of practice - I haven't shot dirtbikers in several months! My only other excuse was the cold, the wind, and the flying dust in my eyes.

14. It looks to be a 250 (I can tell by the jug/cylinder). :wink:

If you all have ATV/MC's and want to meet some good folks, go to AllThingsMoto Forums and post up. They have a lot of get-togethers and most seem to keep a close family like friendship.

Ask Mark if he's ever rode a 2-stroke CR 500R? Most people say I'm crazy for riding one, and even crazier for modifying it for more power. I've done a high comp head, reeds, and bored out carburator to name a few. She runs on VP C12 and Amsoil Dominator. :Guns:

A lot more has been done since this old 04' photo. I'll make new photos when the weather warms up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I'm in to cars, too, but I won't bore you or hijack your thread anymore. LOL :biggrin: :wink: :smile:

15. photogfellow

photogfellow Guest

Great series Diane!

16. dlee79

dlee79

Sep 2, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the last pic with all the mud.

17. the 3rd shot is a classic Dianne

18. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    them pesky power lines again......:biggrin:

448955598_06f8a9e1e6_b3.

love that mud pic!

19. Nice shots Dianne you should be pleased with these those two in the last shot are nuts

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Dianne
    Tell those last two Mud Dog to stay in the woods.
    rofl