1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

VR Failing on 70-200I?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by paul.charles.k, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I have a Nikon 70-200mm VRI lens and recently it seems to want to do erratic things when the VR is being used. Not every time yet, but sometimes, the VR will just throw the glass up and down sorta violently. I can usually just turn the camera on and off and it'll go back to normal soon and it works like normal for a while again. It's was on normal mode, not active, for the last time it happened. I am just wondering if that's a sign of imminent failure?

2. Clean contacts (both body and lens) if you have not already. If the issues persists, I would suggest servicing.

3. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    Every VR glass I have does that when it is engaged. I guess it depends on what you mean violently.

4. Violently meaning it goes from what I suppose would be maximum vertical shift up to maximum vertical shift down quickly about five times.

The image jumps in the viewfinder when VR is engaged normally (I've had my 70-200mm VR for a while now so I know what initial jump you're talking about but it's not that).

I've cleaned the contacts with an eraser now but unfortunately it only happens once or twice every 30 minutes of solid shooting and I am not patient enough to half press for 30 mins.

Thanks for the replies so far.

5. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    How often do you actually use VR and what situations do you use it? I only use it when I am below 1/200 of second shutter speed. If I am trying to track down fast moving objects, I get some shake like that as well which is why usually have it off unless I am shooting static objects and slow ss.

6. I was shooting a candlelight vigil at ISO6400 with people mostly standing still. SS was about 1/60 wide open. Obviously when I shoot sports (or anything above 1/400, I turn it off. The other time it happened, I was shooting around 1/100 of a second.

Does the "shaking" actually move the lens up and down? I could feel it moving pretty quick and it's only been doing this recently.

Thanks for trying to work through it with me.

7. I have been having the same issue with mine lately. I called Nikon Tech and they said to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. It seems to have worked but I fear I will have the same issue as you. I have another photo shoot on Tuesday, if it still acts up then I will send it in.

8. idleowen

idleowen

Aug 19, 2008
    Australia
    Paul
    Not much help to you but mine occasionally does that too,I dont use the VR enough that it bothers me to get it serviced/repaired but it is annoying.Mine was subjected to a pretty bad car crash (it was travelling in the boot,not in a camera bag - lesson learnt!) and I think mine could possibly be as a result of that - have you dropped or had a hard impact with yours in the past??
    thks,Nigel

9. Thanks Milan, it's nice to know I am not the only one but bad news for you. I hope the contacts thing works. I am glad Nikon didn't ask to send it in immediately although this 70-200mm could probably use a calibration as well.

Idleowen, yikes, that sounds like a pretty brutal impact if it was free to fly. I've not had any accidents with the 70-200mm yet, thank goodness.

10. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    I never feel the vibration actually moving the lens so if its that bad then it really does need servicing. Sorry for not being more helpful, but if you contact the service department by email, I would go over the details you have shared with us so you don't have too many back and forth questions which will help in a speedier resolve.

11. Okay, I may just have to send it in if the pencil eraser to clean the contacts doesn't work. Thanks for the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.