VR, How does "off mode" work?

I would like to know if someone can tell me exactly what happens when I take my 300mm f/2.8 or 500mm f/4 lens and rotate the VR selector to Off.

I have read that there is some sort of clamping device that holds the element from rattling around (and that it should be turned off before you power off the camera or remove the lens). It states something to this effect in the manual but does not say exactly how things are clamped down.

Should this clamping action stop the VR element from vibrating even a little when the VR is turned off or is it just a loose fit, with a little wiggle room?

Any link to more detailed info on this would be appreciated.

Alp

"Should be immobilized."

My thoughts EXACTLY.
But is it? And if so, how well dampened is it?
(on the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4, VRii).

Alp

Interesting. All these years I just turned my camera off and removed the lens. I never did anything to the VR on the lens. Whoops.....

It states something to this effect in the manual

No it doesn't. You should allow the VR mechanism to power down and lock before removing the lens from the camera. This is the 'clunk' you hear a few seconds after the shutter button is released. All the VR Off switch on the lens does is prevent the system operating.

As stated above, the VR is only ever "on" when the shutter button is half pressed, and for a couple of seconds after it has been half pressed. You can hear it lock back in place after you half press. Some lenses are louder than others. For example, the 70-300 VR is quite loud and you'll easily hear it. The 18-105 is relatively quiet though. Turning the switch off will just stop VR turning on when you half press.

You will also notice the image in the viewfinder becomes a lot more stabilised when you half press and activate VR, whereas the switch could be on and the image is still shaky when VR is not activated. So yes, always wait for the "clunk" before you remove the lens or turn off the camera. I am unsure if turning the VR switch to the off position whilst VR is activated by the half press will prevent it from locking back in place, but as a caution I always wait for the "clunk" for that too.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom