VR lenses when "parked" - feel / hear internal movement ?

OK - this might be dumb, but ...
When a VR lens is off camera ( and hence no power applied), is it normal to feel / hear movement of something internal to the lens if you *gently" move the lens from side to side ?

I am *not* talking about a rattle as such - more like someting sliding up/down a cam.
I would of thought it would have "parked" the elements - not left them floating.
This happens regardless of the way you power off the lens, including what seems to me to be the safest method - i.e. VR off, wait a bit, power down body, remove lens .

Any insight would be appreciated ...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine, they all do it. Don't worry. My 70-200VR and 105VR both do it.

Simon

80-400 VR Manual

Jon:

I recently obtained an 80-400 VR, and it says in the manual in the section on VR mode . . . "Do not turn the camer power OFF while the vibration reduction mode in in opeations. Otherwise, the lnes mayemit a chattering noise when it is moved quickly". I have experienced when I don't turn the VR off first. Seems like you need to turn VR off while the lens is under power to 'park' the mechanism.

Mike

Jon:

Sorry,didn't read your post completely, looks like you already tried that. I've only experienced the noise when I don't turn VR off first . . . have not noticed it otherwise.

Sorry, didn't read the post closely enough.

MIke

I don't think the OP is referring to the 'chattering' sound when the VR has not locked down. In all VR lenses there is some sound if you shake the lens from side to side (although it is not something that you would ordinarily do!).

Simon

Mike - thanks for the posts.
FYi - I am not in the habit of shaking the lens for fun :eek:
Its just whilst I was carrying it around mounted ( and powered off) , I could very occassionly feel "movement", and wondered what it was.
Further investigation showed the lens as the culprit.
At least it not unique in this behaviour...

Latest threads

Top Bottom