VR makes a difference

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Dec 5, 2005.

1. The varied thrush has been on my list of local birds to capture, but has eluded my until yesterday. I saw one in the Garry Oak behind our house. The D2X with 300VR and TC17EII was sitting in my den. I quickly grabbed it and had time to fire off 15 quick shots in pretty dark conditions - it was windy, wet and cold. I was shooting at ISO 640 and 1/30s handheld. I did not expect to get much, but nothing ventured...

The results - out of the 15 shots 10 were rejects due to subject movement or camera jiggles. The remaining 5 were not critically sharp, but good enough for web presentation, as illustrated by the shot I have attached here.

The bottom line is that by the time I had assembled my tripod the opportunity would have been long gone. Without VR I would not have this photo. I am quite impressed with the results, considering that 1/30s at 500mm is quite a stretch. The image is a 50% crop from the original. I processed with neat image and selective sharpened.

original.

2. Excellent what a cool looking bird, I agree with the VR I love it on my 200-400 and even use it on my tripod except when it is locked down, and on a mono-pod or handheld is a lifesaver

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow that's impressive; I don't think I could handhold even the 70-200vr and get good results at 1/30. I seem to get about 1-2 stops from VR, that's it.

4. That is my experience with the 70-200VR as well. The VR on the 300VR is better in my opinion.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You know, come to think of it I seem to get more benefit from the 200-400's VR than I do the 70-200...

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Rory,
    Good job on your part. Fast thinking and moving. Good ol' VR..
    Beautiful bird also.

8. Some how Gale I knew you would chime in on this VR thread !!!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Smiles at Mike :>)))

10. Gale can't walk away from a good bird :wink:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    How very true Rory,

Keep that gear set up at the door ready to go.

12. Oh, I do. I try to leave my camera with the lens and settings I will most likely need and a freshly formatted card. Right now that is the 300VR, TC17EII, Auto WB, ISO 400 and the SB800 mounted. Now, if I could just keep those flash batteries charged...

13. Absolutely gorgeous image Rory. Excellent capture and yes the VR did you well with a nice sharp image.

14. Thanks Gordon. How is your weather right now. Any snow at Zion yet?

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice Shot!

VRVRVR!

16. Wow so thats what they should look like! I had one in my backyard and got a terrible picture of it with the 500, not something one could publish for sure...

Very nice indeed!

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great shot !
    I want one those lens sooooooo bad :biggrin:

18. Wow Rory, these are top notch once again.

19. Rory, great suggestions, story and bird. This is one we haven't seen in our yard yet, saw a couple last year before we moved, but hoping for some.

This gives me impetus now to keep the 70-200 mounted all the time with the 1.7 "just in case". Not, of course, that we don't have clear days and bright sun at home all the time :wink:

So, the next question is, how the heck do you get the door/window/screen open quitely enough not to scare the little birdies away when they do show up????? Stickum on the perches perhaps?