VR+NR+Expodisc save the day

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Marques, Apr 17, 2005.

1. My daughter's school performed Godspell this past week (she's center of frame with the pink scarf). I found myself in a difficult situation with horrible lighting (no foot lights and a spot light pointed UP at the stage). The VR on my 70-200 made it reasonably sharp, Neat Image took care of the noise, and Expodisc made it a bit easier to fix by getting the WB pretty close (mild tweak to WB in Bibble).

This shot was hand held at 1/50 (EV+1/3) @ 175mm f2.8 @ 1600 ISO.
    original.

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Low light, indoor, school event, and my little girl
    will soon be there...these are the very reasons I'm
    trying to talk the wife in to letting me move the
    200mm f/2 VR from a wishlist to a need. :)

Great looking picture, and way to pull it off with
    bad conditions.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Remarkable, Joe

You nailed the exposure, and the VR tech + your post skills took care of the rest. At this size, at least, it's as clean as a whistle! Handheld, I presume?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Tough one Joe,

Great job

vr vr vr :>))) SHINES AGAIN

5. Nice going Joe!! :) :) :) :)

6. Joe
    I agree with it all the exposidsk in these lighting sitautiosn really shines and the VR helps to, I foudn this combo a great way to shoot stage productions.
    Heres is one of mine for our H.S play shoot with the d2h and the 70-200VR
    original.

7. Very nice shot here, Mike. The exposure and lighting seem just right! I like the way you captured your subject here at an angle.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. I have long thought of getting the Expodisc, although there were only a very few occasions where to use it. But messing up those few occasions is reason enough to buy it. I will order it simultaneously on the occasion of my next lens lust out-break. This post is encouraging.

9. Mike, this is a master-piece, nothing more nothing less.

10. Joe, thanks for sharing this cute image of your daughter. She is a doll. It is images such as this that make photography so rewarding.

Mike, I remember your stage images and they have always been an inspiration to me.

11. I think the 200 f2 VR is a need regardless of conditions. :) It's too sweet to NOT need that glass.

Thanks for the comments Todd.

12. Re: Remarkable, Joe

Thanks Steve. Yes, it was hand held. Neat Image made it clean even at 50% size. It's very usable to print 8x10.

13. Thanks Gale. It's funny but I was disappointed at first but then I became realistic about what I could reasonable expect at 1/50, ISO 1600 and mixed light.

14. Thanks very much Bryan. I appreciate your consistent feedback.

15. Mike,

The main reason I tried under such difficult conditions was your fabulous shots of that school show. Your work that night was simply brilliant. The make-up, costumes, and slightly better light didn't hurt but you sure got the most anyone could ever get out of it. :D

16. Harry,

The expodisc is a fine tool for mixed light. It's particulary useful when poor WB adds extra noise to an already noisy D2H.

17. Gordon, your comments are always valued.