Vr on 300mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jgburton1, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jgburton1

jgburton1

Jun 7, 2007
    Waxhaw,NC
    I am considering purchasing either a used 300mm AF-I 2.8 or a new one with the vr. How useful is the vr when shooting sports while using a monopod.
    Jim

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    You question will be best answered if you look at some of the recent posts from Frank (Eng45ine) who has amply demonstrated the virtues of the 300 2.8 VR, especially for shooting sports. But I would also hasten to add that it is the person using the equipment rather than the equipment itself, which actually adds brilliance to the image.

• Handheld - essential. Although I dont handhold it for long.
    • On a monopod - very useful, would not do without it
    • On a very good and solid tripod with a great head = Full Wimberley, i keep it turned OFF. I have tested it extensively and it comes out sharper with the VR = OFF.

On the bigger issue if it is worth the extra money for a VR version, sounds like you are a good candidate for it shooting sports on a Monopod. I also think that the VR version has a slightly finer Bokeh and detail then the AF-S II. That said the AF-S II is not as heavy.

3. jgburton1

jgburton1

Jun 7, 2007
    Waxhaw,NC
    Thank you Andreas , that is exactly what I wanted to know. I needed justification to buy the new one anyway. lol

Jim

4. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    VR is essential for handholding, shooting in lo-light and with TC's.

5. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    I use the 300 mm f/2.8 VR on a monopod for sports. I leave VR on when shooting at 1/500 or slower, particularly indoors or in the evening outdoors. When shooting at faster shutter speeds I usually shut VR off to avoid the brief delay that it takes to lock. VR is especially helpful when panning at slower shutter speeds.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The 300mm f/2.8 VR is a wonderful lens, but I do not use the VR option much. I did use it when I was shooting some birds handheld and I think it worked out well. I do handhold for shooting sports, but my shutter speeds are too high to benefit from the VR option.

I will recommend this....if you cannot afford the VR version, buy an AF-S I or II. But if you can afford the VR version, I say buy it and enjoy what it can do for your photography. I always believe that photographers should spend every single dime that they can safely afford on their gear. Buyer's remorse sticks, so buy the best if you can afford to.

7. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I had a 300mm f/2.8 AF-I and it is a great lens. The optics are outstanding (it has more ED elements than the current VR version) and AF is lightening fast. The 300 VR is certainally a great lens as well, and VR is nice but if you are shooting sports and the shutter speed is low enough for VR to matter you'll get sharp grass and fuzzy action. The AF-I cost about one third of a new VR and I didn't regret saving all that money one bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  8. Glad to see that - supports my thinking :redface: - I just ordered the 300VR yesterday for use on a monopod for autoracing.

9. jgburton1

jgburton1

Jun 7, 2007
    Waxhaw,NC
    Thanks to all. Still a hard choice, I am currently shooting with the AFS 300 f4 and it is good lens too. I also use the 80-200 2.8 and like it as well. I have never used a VR lens and was wondering how much difference it might make for my sports shooting. A new 300mm 2.8 is awfully tempting:).

Jim

10. Guys,

Time to show off your 300VR images, dudes!

We want to see them !!!!!!

:biggrin:

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  12. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow Frank, those are great shots but the first one is amazing! Especially knowing it was handheld.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Haze, the set-up isn't terribly heavy and I seem to be getting used to it.

14. Shooter

Shooter

May 7, 2007
    New York
    Fantastic shots!

15. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Those are awesome Frank! I'll play devil's advocate if I may. Here is the 300 AF-I + D2Hs on a monopod:

[​IMG]

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful shot, that's for sure. The series I and II lenses are solid performers.

17. Way to go, Frank!
    Nikon should use your images for the 300VR ads. Excellent!

18. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I think the bottom line is you can't go wrong with any of the 300mm f/2.8s, from a 30+ year old AI to a new VR. You just pick what features you need and how much you want to spend. Pretty cool.

19. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You are absolutely correct.