VR On/Off question...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Ptchfork, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    Hey all

When I bought my 55-200 VR, it said in the manuel to set to off when the camera is not is use. I find myself forgetting this - are there any harmful effects to keeping it on?

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    The VR setting on my lenses is set to "ON" at all times .... the only time I change the VR settings is when I am shooting from a moving platform, like say a boat or something, from 'Normal' to 'Active' to counter the extra movement caused by the moving platform. Other than that it is always ON and set to NORMAL.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm not sure I have ever read that. I have left the VR switch in the on position with the camera off and not noticed any ill effects. It is important, however, to make sure the camera is off before changing lenses, VR or not.

4. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    Baywing - I do, but why?

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If you are refering to the turn the camera off when changing lenses, it is because of all of those contacts. If you notice, they rotate with the lens as you rotate it to remove it. During that time, they align with contacts on the body that they are not supposed to align with. If the body was on, voltage that was supposed to be supplied to one contact may go to a different contact with not so nice results. Most things in these new cameras and lenses don't respond well to dead shorts or too much voltage.

6. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    I also have never turned vr off on my len's which have it. As for turning the camera off before changing a VR lens. When you are not using VR, in other words have not depressed the shutter release button half way, the VR mechanism is locked. When you depress the shutter halfway it is unlocked and turns on. On some VR lens you can actually here the mechanism unlock. When you release the shutter button the mechanism locks again. If you were to change the lens with power applied and the mechanism in the unlocked status it could flop around and cause damage to the VR mechanism. So it is good to turn the camera off when changing actually any lens.

7. I don't think I've noticed any instruction to turn VR off when the camera isn't in use. In any event I don't do that. In fact I usually don't bother turning the camera off when it isn't in use. I just put the camera, with lens capped, in a safe place. The cameras don't use much power while they're not being used, just enough to display the shot counter on the LCD, and that's pretty much the same even when the camera is "off."

8. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    The manuals for both of my VR lenses say not to turn the camera off, or remove the lens, while VR "is in operation." That is quite a different statement than turning the VR switch off, which is entirely unnecessary. Unless, of course, you are in the habit of removing lenses while your finger is still pressing on the shutter release. :)

9. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    OH - Ok - I misunderstood... This really cleared it up for me..

Yeah - who the hell would do this anyway????

10. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I read somewhere that it is also a good idea to turn the VR off when the camera is on a tripod.
    Mike

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Maybe you should turn it off.
    But I have never turned it off in almost 3 years.

12. yrrek

yrrek Guest

i think he was just telling a joke because VR is pretty much useless because you are already on a stable platform. Kinda redundant.

13. 70-200

I have found that leaving the VR on while shooting this lens on my D2Hs caused out of focus/blurred images when the shutter is more than 1/200. Another reason to turn it off when not needed is to conserve power as the VR drains the battery faster.

14. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City

I wondered about that