VR on tripod

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Greg, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    OK, the book says to turn it off. does it make a difference if the subject is moving? do you then turn it back on?

2. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Nope. The only ways to stop subject motion are fast shutter speeds, or panning. VR only helps with camera shake.

Gerry

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yep, what Gerry says.

VR will try and stop non-existant camera shake if you have it on while the camera is on a tripod and actually cause image shake. The 200-400 is an exception to this and will recognize when it is stabilized, so you can leave it on when on a tripod. I wish I had one, so I could test this assertion.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks John. I remembered seeing that, but I couldn't remember where.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

How about using a VR on a tripod on a moving boat - a cruise ship? I suppose it "depends" on the amount and type of motion, and that as long as some "motion" is detected, the VR will do it's job.

With the 70-200VR you switch to "Active" VR when shooting from a car.

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    First off. I am not trying to be argumentative or controversial but I feel I've added a couple of variables to the "standard" of "if it's on a tripod turn it off". I think this may be a blanket statement from Nikon since most use a tripod on stationary objects.

Ken, that's my point. with a moving subject the camera will be moving to track it. I guess it would matter is the sensor is sensing the movement of the camera body (shake only) or sensing the image motion (could be camera shake or image motion). these are two different issues.? anyone have an idea how their system is set up?

John, the samples you took were very good and very informative but they were of a stationary subject with a stationary camera.

I propose using this on a moving subject with a moving camera and gimbal mount on a tripod. so my thought is that the camera will still be sensing motion in both the vertical and horizontal axis.

I guess a field test is in order.

BTW, I called Nikon and I gather they guessed at a response. they said that you can leave it on when tracking a moving subject. he didn't sound very convincing though.

I will let you all know if my tests in the next day or two result in anything enlightening.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Another, not frequently addressed, issue is that VR sometimes produces really bad bokeh. Even the 200/2VR, otherwise superb as far as beaitful bokeh is concerned, can show this to a disturbing extent.

10. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    may have been wasting band width on this issue. not sure but here are some pictures taken today.
    70-200 vr at 200 mm
    manual exposure preset and not changed
    1/500 at 7.1

on tripod with only pan enabled. other axis locked.

all taken from the same spot with cars at about the same speed.
    a minimum of 7 different cars and frames in each vr mode and selected the best. shutter in single mode.

All in all I'm not sure I proved or disproved anything. I could have used a few more pixels for this test though.

Thanks for your input and special thanks to Paul for the nikon info. I think I tend to agree with you on the when. I plan to run higher shutter speeds with vr off. Guess I should have turned it off for the tripod mounted butterfly shots as shown by Johns test.

Good info all the same. thanks guys!

VR Off
    [​IMG]

VR On Active off
    [​IMG]

VR on Active On
    [​IMG]

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Another issue to be addressed is the shutter speed. At speeds faster than 1/1000, it would appear that VR is not reliable in reducing vibration. According to info from Nikon and it's subsequent evaluation, the cycle time for the VR mechanism is 1/1000 sec. From that, it would appear that at shutter speeds faster than that, you might catch the VR in an unstable state. My observations would support this.
    Very interesting comment re: the operation of VR on a pitching boat, which is where I use it most often. that could (and probably does) explain my less than quality results. My D100 seems to like my older 80-200 AFS better anyway......