1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

VR problems with Nikkor 16-85

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kpstatz, Sep 12, 2008.

1. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    I bought the lens in May. After a few weeks of use, VR started to act up - the picture in the viewfinder started to jump for up to 10 seconds and the lens would make a rattling noise.

I sent it to Nikon and received it back in early August, after they replaced the VR unit.

Today the lens started acting up again - VR is either not reacting at all or the picture jumps - only once and no noise, but I'm afraid the VR unit is defective again.

Needless to say that I didn't drop the lens or anything.

I like the lens for its IQ, but I'm really getting upset about the VR problems.

Does anybody else have similar issues with their 16-85?

2. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    nothing with mine and it's been getting a workout - a couple thousand shots over the past few months........

3. nht800

nht800

Aug 26, 2008
    Missouri, USA
    I don't have any problem with mine too. You may send it back to Nikon again. Hope they will give you another lens if they can not fix it.

4. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    Thank you, johnmh and nht800. Assume I got myself a lemon. Will send it in again and see what Nikon has to say.

5. My 16-85 is my work horse and have never had any problems(knocking on wood). But nothing is ever 100% reliable. Good luck send it in again.

6. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks a bunch, Bill!

7. VDMTom

VDMTom

Jun 24, 2008
    CA, USA
    my friend's don't have a problem. but i would think your VR needs a break when not needed. maybe turn it off when you are using a tripod?

8. NikSi

NikSi Guest

big bump here..

I'm in the UK and a member of the Talk Photography forum. There's a classifieds section in there where people can buy with confidence off other members. I recently bought a 16-85mm off a guy there, and I've noticed that my image jumps around quite a bit to begin with, and when zooming in or out and then re-focussing.

I've actually started a topic on there asking about this, and people seem to say that it's perfectly normal and is just the VR motors kicking in, but after reading this it seems that it's faulty?

Basically, if I'm looking through the eyepiece when I turn my camera on, there are 3 or 4 'clicks' and the image moves up and down in time to these clicks. Also, when zooming in or out and re-autofocussing, it does it as well. But not too often.

Is this normal for a VR lens? The images seem to be tack sharp, and it's the first VR lens I've owned so it could just be me not being used to it!

Thanks

Simon

9. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    I don't have the 16-85, but have VR on four other lenses (18-200, 70-200, 70-300 and 105mm). On the basis of these, I'd say that what you are experiencing is not normal. All I'm aware of is a slight hum from the unit (especially on the 70-300) and the image in the view finder becoming stable (often I don't even notice that). There is no clicking or jumping of the image.

10. iTiki

iTiki

Mar 13, 2008
    Montery Bay
    Mine has worked perfectly since day one. I would send yours back to Nikon. I'm sure they will take care of you. It's a great lens and worth the hassle to make it right.

11. NikSi

NikSi Guest

Thanks for your responses guys.

The guy who sold it to me has been very good and is giving me a full refund, and in return I'm hand delivering it to a local official Nikon servicing place here in London for him.

I'll use the money back to put towards a new one as opposed to a used one! ;) 

12. NikSi

NikSi Guest

Yep, it was faulty. I took it to the Nikon approved service centre over here, and used the refund to buy a new one, and the new lens defintely does not have this problem.

Lovely lens though. I'm hoping the delivery of my used Tokina 50-135mm doesn't hold the same problems in store for me, as buying used is such a good way to save a bit of money. It's been described as mint condition by the company selling it (who are a very well respected company over here)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.