VR versus VRII

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dhean, Sep 13, 2008.

1. dhean

dhean

Dec 16, 2007
    CA
    Does anyone know what are the main differences between VR and VRII? I assume VRII has better stabilization, but what is there a quantitative amount like number of stops between the two versions?

2. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Nikon says 3 with VR and 4 with VR II, which is pretty close to what most people see. You generally see 2-3 stops of stabilization with VR and 3-4 stops with VR II.

3. dhean

dhean

Dec 16, 2007
    CA
    Thanks for the info JohnK. I also ran into some info on the internet mentioning that VRII works better with panning, too. Something about it disabling stabilization in the horizontal axis.

4. gunfighter48

gunfighter48 Guest

I have two VRII lenses and they have two modes of operation. The normal mode will let you pan vertically or horizontally and stop camera shake in the other direction. Then there is the active mode which will stop camera shake in both the vertical and horizontal directions. The active mode is very effective and my lenses are usually in this mode for the type of shooting that I do. The active mode is great for anything in flight where you want to stop all camera motion. Can't wait until I get to do an airshow.

I had two VR lenses before this and while the stabilization was good VRII is much better IMO.