VR vs shutter speed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris Pierce, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Guest

At what shutter speed would it be beneficial to turn VR off?

If I was shooting motorsports at 1/1000 wouldn't it be better to turn VR off?

I also had another question about print size, how big of prints can I do with my D200? and if I wanted to print big, would it be better to shoot raw vs jpeg?

2. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Good question, Chris. I would think shutter speeds above 1/400th second would be the threshold for turning the VR option off.
  3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    On my 200-400 i never seem to turn it off, because with using a telelconverter I rarely go above 1/1000 or 1/1250

I have never noticed any concerns with VR left on or any differences, When I shoot my 200Vr wide open, I do turn it off above 1/1500 if I remember.

a lot of the times I am handholding so even with higher shutter speeds I tend to keep it on.

If it was locked down tight, I would shut off at 1/1000

In regards to print sizes, you may print any size you want to with the D200. I have prints up to 20x30 and larger poster prints made out of JPg files from the D200, raw vs JPg doesn't matter much, if you don't crop the image size much you can go very very large. Let the lab do the upsizing on the largest prints,

4. dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Wouldn't focal length be a factor in determining at what shutter speed VR is not needed? If you're at 1/1000 I would think you'd be fine without the VR. It would probably be beneficial to turn it off in that case, so you don't have to wait that brief second for the VR to settle. When I shoot motorcycle races I tend to use a slower shutter and pan so I don't freeze the wheels, I use the VR in that case.
  5. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Guest

what shutter speed do you use when panning? I tried a few this weekend.

this one is my favorite, it was shot at 1/200, 18mm, f9.

should I use something a little slower for panning?

6. dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I think 1/200 is a pretty good shutter speed for panning, especially starting out. You can slow it down once you get better, but I think as long as the wheels are blurred no sense making it hard on yourself and going slower than necessary. You might be able to get away with a faster shutter shooting snowmobiles, since it looks harder to tell if the track is turning or not, but you still need to be slow enough to blur the surroundings. The speed of the subject is going to play a role, too. Trial and error I guess. I'm by no means an expert at this, I've only done it a few times at the end of last season. This is one I shot at 1/200, f/10, 200mm. It could use a tighter crop, but that would cut out the background I worked so hard to blur.:rolleyes:

7. JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    Dave, this is an amazing shot.

I made prints from the D200 up to 75 x 50 cm from TIF files (processed from the RAWs) and it looks great! I think even bigger prints would be no problem at all.

I suppose it would also work with JPG good - as long the JPG files are good: sharp, not too much compressed, not too much noise (although there is less noise on a print than you see on your computer monitore). But those things also apply for RAW - so I think that it doesn't matter if you make prints from processed RAW files or jpgs out of cam. But the files must be good!

I have also seen prints up to 30x45 cm from the D2h(s) and it looked superb!
  8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Agree with Dave, for panning, the slower shutter speeds do need VR and for aircraft I generally try to keep it around 1/250-1/320 to keep prop blur and background blur:

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/Oshkosh 06/DSC_5059.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/Oshkosh 06/DSC_6497.JPG

Same goes for cars, except there the blur you want is eiether background blur or the wheels blurred.

In your snowmobile shots even the snow mobile is still a blit blurry, so you didn't pan perfectly, not bad, but also the snowmobile is going slower than a car, cycle or plane, so you might have to go as low as 1/125 to get the sense of speed unless it is after a long straight or going downhill or flying through the air.

9. HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    My understanding is the vr updates at 1/1000 of a second on my 70-200. If so, at best, you get 2 updates at 1/500 second shutter speed. I turn on vr when shooting at or below 1/300 second for my dx sensor camera. This matches the 1/focal length rule for hand holding. So far, things have worked well for me with this approach.