Vultures in the Snoqualmie valley

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JohnK, Jun 26, 2007.

1. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    There are benifits to taking the scenic route home sometimes! Today on the drive home I saw a group of large birds off the road a bit, I thought they looked like vultures which was a surprise since I'd never seen or heard of them around here before and figured they would be worth shooting even in the mediocre light in the valley today.

The first 3 were taken with a D80, 70-300VR + Kenko 1.4, I removed the Kenko for the last 3. The first three images are full frame, the others have been cropped to some extent and resized.

DSC_4089_sm.

DSC_4091_sm.

DSC_4104_sm.

DSC_4120_sm.

DSC_4126_sm.

DSC_4132_sm.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    John,

I haven't been everywhere, but everywhere that I've been these guys are around. I guess their services are pretty much needed wherever you go. :rolleyes:

Very nice captures. :smile:

3. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Thanks Frank. This was in a river valley with a decent amout of game, I'm sure they'd find enough to eat.

What I thought was interesting, not having seen them before, was how they would fly in circles even when just taking off and close to the ground. I suppose they're always searching for carrion.

FlyingLow_sm.

4. Cool series of shots John. I'll be in that neck of the woods tomorrow on the links :wink:. Might have to pack a few lenses for after :smile:

Thanks for sharing.

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I believe these are the ever present Turkey Vultures which commonly roam around my house here in Georgia...

6. First time I saw one I was in chock. Not ever seen one before & was not sure what it was.... Well I knew which family it belonged to, but not which subspecies.

Nice catch.

Lil

7. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Good luck finding them Peter, they were along the Carnation Farm Road just west of Camp Gilead. Fortunately there are a couple of place right by there to pull off and get some shots if you see them.

There are a couple large red tail hawks in that area too, and occationally eagles. I happend to get a (very poor) shot of one of the eagles trying to get these vultures in flight, they were pretty far away, I didn't recognize the eagle until I was going through the shots at home! They must have scared it out of the trees along the river.

peet, I do believe you're right on the species. Everything I found online last night points to them being Turkey Vultures. Maybe they're just passing through to eastern Wa.

Thanks Lil, even though they're on the ugly side it was a treat to get a chance to see them in the wild.

8. Well all be! Amazing find right here in my backyard. . . do you hire out as a BIF Guide? :)