W/NW Signs of Spring

Alfalfa blooming usually signals Spring around here, then the trees start leafing out...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amin has reminded me that I am old, and W/NW threads were popular on early Photo Forums. I've been posting to them for over 15 years. A post that I put up years ago on one of Amin's other sites,

The W/NW threads are not for critique of images. Post a follow-up image and let it speak for itself, and to inspire- rather than giving advice on how you would have done the image. W/NW threads typically are open to all types of camera formats, even in semi-dedicated sites such as this one.

W/NW threads were popular on photo.net, going back a long time. I first started participating in ~2002. Several Photography sites have set up W/NW forums. Rangefinderforum.com has an active W/NW forum.

Just to add- many times you get a Photo that you want to show, and on a site with a W/NW forum- often an existing thread is there to place it in. Otherwise, many "one-Photo" threads come, and sink into the abyss within a week. The W/NW threads bring the old posts back to the surface.

Brian, you should add a location to your profile so we know where the photos are coming from.

Amin has reminded me that I am old, and W/NW threads were popular on early Photo Forums. I've been posting to them for over 15 years. A post that I put up years ago on one of Amin's other sites,

The W/NW threads are not for critique of images. Post a follow-up image and let it speak for itself, and to inspire- rather than giving advice on how you would have done the image. W/NW threads typically are open to all types of camera formats, even in semi-dedicated sites such as this one.

W/NW threads were popular on photo.net, going back a long time. I first started participating in ~2002. Several Photography sites have set up W/NW forums. Rangefinderforum.com has an active W/NW forum.

Just to add- many times you get a Photo that you want to show, and on a site with a W/NW forum- often an existing thread is there to place it in. Otherwise, many "one-Photo" threads come, and sink into the abyss within a week. The W/NW threads bring the old posts back to the surface.
That's an explanation of what's to be posted and a bit of history but it doesn't answer my question. What does N/NW stand for?

Words/No Words, post a picture by itself or with a few words describing it. I must have missed a line on the cut and paste!

Now I want to see a list from you of what W/NW stands for!

And thankyou for contributing.

The Sun came out "briefly again",

Spring 2017, Sonnar 13.5cm F4 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Spring 2017, Sonnar 13.5cm F4 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Got another 2mi walk in.

Last edited:
Thanks. I thought it might be something more interesting:)
No- I just thought it was funny that you said it might have been more interesting, not trying to be snarky at all. Problem with Internet forums, you could not see me laughing when I read the above and wondered what else "W/NW" had been used for. I came over from Amin's other forums, where W/NW threads have been around since 2009 or so.

the first tomato spotted in my garden today

When Spring comes I use the Snow Shovel to get Leaves off the Pool Cover- so they get put to GOOD work.

I always rely on my Neighbors planting nice gardens and we use our yard as a decoy for the Deer.

Virginia bluebells!

To answer the question of what W/NW stands for, let me explain:
I had planned to capture the essence of spring yesterday when it began to snow. By the the time it had quit I was deep into working on my taxes. By the time I'd paid Uncle Sam, it was snowing again. No pictures, but I now know what W/NW means:

Winter/Not Winter

(and yes, I know it means little if there is no picture :(

I am adding that to the List!

Winter, stuck inside WORKING on cameras,

Winter,
Converted Sonnar by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr
1937 Zeiss Lens just converted to Leica Mount,

NOT Winter- Walking around outside with the camera!

Gunston Hall by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I hope NOT Winter visits you soon!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom