Waco, TX

Please keep the good people of Waco, Texas in your thoughts and prayers as they find a way to manage their issues. A powerful explosion in a fertilizer factory has leveled the community, many people are injured and although deaths are not confirmed at this time, many first responders and workers are unaccounted for.

Sure, this has been the very first news given by our local reports.
No idea what happened there but please consider your Italian fellows close to you.
God bless you all and the people hit by such a tragedy.

I've been following it on the BBC news website. It looks very bad. They are already in my prayers, together with the people of Boston.

Please keep the good people of Waco, Texas in your thoughts and prayers as they find a way to manage their issues. A powerful explosion in a fertilizer factory has leveled the community, many people are injured and although deaths are not confirmed at this time, many first responders and workers are unaccounted for.
+2...so sad.

Though we live a about 1 1/2 hours away, we haven't been able to reach any of our close friends that live in the area. This ia all a bit too nerve racking for me - our friends are family to us - they were in our wedding 21 yrs ago today. I'm thinking services are interrupted but going to keep trying.

While this is sad and we all should be giving our thoughts and prayers for these people, I am once again amazed at the ability of local governments to make terrible decisions. Locating a school, a retirement home, and other businesses in close proximity to a plant making high explosives (and yes ammonia nitrate fertilizer is a main component in the most commonly used explosive in the USA) is beyond foolish.

Just got in touch with one of our friends - they're all okay -PRAISE GOD!
Y'all please pray for Waco - this is only the beginning - 2 firemen are missing and they haven't confirmed exactly how many are deceased.

54,000lbs (20 tonnes) of anhydrous ammonia on a site right on the edge of town, only a few hundred meters from houses, a school and nursing home :eek:

I thought you had zoning laws in the US?

While this is sad and we all should be giving our thoughts and prayers for these people, I am once again amazed at the ability of local governments to make terrible decisions. Locating a school, a retirement home, and other businesses in close proximity to a plant making high explosives (and yes ammonia nitrate fertilizer is a main component in the most commonly used explosive in the USA) is beyond foolish.
Dont know anything about it..but its a good bet the plant was there first..and then other stuff built around it..:rolleyes: Just as stupid either way.

I was on I15 coming into Vegas when the rocket fuel plant in boulder..or Henderson exploded. I watched the shock wave scream across the desert unreal.
Gary

they're now saying 3-5 firefighters missing. :frown:

Ya'll - some of these plants were in operation before houses and businesses were built. Yeah, I agree about zoning but don't know when zoning began. I think the plant was a fairly old one. It started out as a fire, they were fighting it and guess it just got out of control then exploded. West is a very small farming town - most of the area surrounding West is farm land for cotton, soybeans, and etc. If y'all want, I'll keep ya posted as well as I can.

As Dianne mentioned, this occurred in the town of West. About 20 miles north of Waco in Interstate 35. This is a small agricultural community of approximately 2700 people. Anyone who has driven I35 in that area may remember The Czech Stop, if they don't remember the town itself.

The explosion occurred at a fertilizer plant. There was a fire. Crews responded, then realized the tanks had anhydrous ammonia in them, and began evacuating the local area. Shortly after this was started, one tank exploded.

This was a large blast. USGS has the explosion listed as a 2.1 on the Richter scale. There are buildings that have been leveled - one local channel has stated one of the town's schools in that category. Many others with heavy structural damage, including an apartment building and a nursing home. Lesser damage further out.

As of this morning:

160 (at least) injured have been treated.

There are confirmed fatalities. Officials are still reluctant to give numbers. Latest being reported by local news is 5-15.

Some local FF/LEO/EMS that were initially on-scene are still unaccounted for at this time and feared dead. (3-5 firefighters and one police officer)

Crews are still going building to building looking for casualties.

As normal with large fires/ explosions, will be handled as a crime scene until investigation complete.

ETA - if in the off chance there is anyone on the Cafe who has family in West and cannot reach them, here are some contact numbers:

AFTER 9AM, a line to officials at the scene - 254-826-4155

Hillcrest hospital hotline for family members is 254-202-1100

Providence Hospital hotline for family members is 254-761-7600

Scott & White Hospital hotline from family members is 254-761-7200

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they cancel the races in Waco this weekend. Just not good right now. Too many friends affected that also ride.
Hope they are doing OK. This will affect many people here in Central Texas. Many have friends and/ or family or business connections with West.

Hope they are doing OK. This will affect many people here in Central Texas. Many have friends and/ or family or business connections with West.
We haven't heard from everybody yet - only our closest friends. Riding buddies - not yet - some of them worked at the plant. I'm just miserable over all that's happened these past few days - too much to deal with right now!

We haven't heard from everybody yet - only our closest friends. Riding buddies - not yet - some of them worked at the plant. I'm just miserable over all that's happened these past few days - too much to deal with right now!
From what I understand from one of the briefings last night, officials stated there were no employees at the plant - so hopefully they are OK and just dealing property damage. (If you know anyone who needs to find family members, I have contact numbers in my first post in the thread.)

From what I understand from one of the briefings last night, officials stated there were no employees at the plant - so hopefully they are OK and just dealing property damage. (If you know anyone who needs to find family members, I have contact numbers in my first post in the thread.)
Thanks Gordon - we have them too. Just heard too that there's been some looting. Dang, where's the decency!? I've text- messaged several friends and will just have to wait and see what happens. I haven't heard what caused the fire - have you?

Thanks Gordon - we have them too. Just heard too that there's been some looting. Dang, where's the decency!? I've text- messaged several friends and will just have to wait and see what happens. I haven't heard what caused the fire - have you?
You're welcome. There's a chance at least some of it was family looking for missing family/ picking through family stuff - was mentioned by the spokesman that some of the reported looting might be one of those things. They'll sort it out.

With regards to cause... no word yet that I've heard. Will be treated as a potential crime scene until they complete an investigation. CSB, ATF, State Fire Marshals, etc... are either already on scene or en-route.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom