Wacom - Which One?

I've been needing/wanting a Wacom tablet for some time. I can only afford about 200 dollars. Would I be better off with a medium Bamboo or a small Intuos? My monitor is 27" if that makes a difference.

I strongly feel an Intuos 4 is the best investment. Mine is the medium size. If you plan on doing detail work, the larger the better. The workaround is to zoom the screen image to a large size.

Mine came from Calumet as a refurb, but I suspect they were overstocks or upgraded at factory due to a design defect. Calumet had scads of them as did Frys Electronics.
$250.

Go to eBay and pick up a 6X11 Wacom Intuos3. That's what I use and love it! The wide format is perfect for monitor perspective (unless it's a CRT) and you can pick up nice one for your budget - which is the only reason I haven't picked up the Intuos4 (budget). One note, though - the wide format tablets take up a lot of real estate. The 6X11 is the size of the active area. The size of the whole tablet is about 10.5X16.5 inches (about twice the size of a standard keyboard.

I went to Best Buy to view the tablets. Nothing was on display. They were all boxed. They had an "opened box" small Bamboo for just $72 dollars so I bought it. Saved some bucks and I think it will do me fine for a while.

Thanks all, for your input.

Wish I had seen this before you purchased.....I went from Wacom to VisTablet......working area is approx a 10x12 working space and I love it....my Wacom was the small 4x6 working area.........I have not full gotten into the macro buttons or any of that but I love the way it works and the 2yr warranty...and I paid less than $100 for it.........off ebay, it was a end of model sale...so i got what amounted to the last years model for around 1/2 price...about the same as Best Buy has the Bamboos for.........Remember if you do not like the Bamboo take it back.....even tho it is an open box sale it is returnable.....

VisTablet on Ebay......they do have an actual website Also...... VisTablet.net ........

For those with the larger (medium vs small) tablets, can I ask what functions do youo perform woith it?
I do all of my pixel editing with it....anything that requires precise movement of the cursor or line drawing ...stuff that is hard for me to do with trackball and impossible for me with mouse.....oh I tossed mouse in trash over 10yrs ago for a trackball (logictech trackman)......also I use it for signing my images......that way all images have my signature in my handwriting.

Wacom Bamboo Create Pen Tablet

I am considering transitioning from the mouse to a pen tablet as I am now spending a bit more time with LR3, Elements 10 and some Topaz plugins. As a hobbyist with quite limited software skills or knowledge base at this time, I would not be interested in the higher end products. Any thoughts on the Wacom Bamboo Create Pen Tablet? Thanx.

I had a small percursor to the Bamboo series. Loved it. Although it was small, if I magnified the picture on the screen it was sufficiently accurate/sensitive.

Now I have an Intuos 4 medium size. Love it, am still getting used to pen angles.

So if you are money-limited, get a small Intuos. A small Bamboo will still be better than just mouse! Much better with selecting items or dodging/burning/cloning.

I use a Bamboo Pen&Touch, serves me pretty well enough for photographic work. I would probably like something a little bit bigger if was going to make the transition to doing art work on PC though.

I have the luxury of having two intuos tablets - the A4 and the latest small ver. I can tell you now that I head for the small one every time - it is superbe and does everything I could ask from a tablet.

I was giving a bamboo tablet by a friend and it works great. I have no idea what size it is but its about the same size as my tablet, which is 10 iches. With my 23 inch monitor i think it is a great combo.

I have the Bamboo Pen&Touch for my laptop and the Intuous 4 medium for my desktop with dual monitors. I love my Intuous! The Bamboo is nice on the laptop but the smaller real estate of that tablet (and the laptop screen) is a bit restricting.

Good luck with your purchase, Jim.

I bought the Bamboo pen and touch maybe a year ago. I think it's the small one. This is my first tablet, so for me anything would have been fine I guess. It's great for retouching and photo restoration.

I'm sure the more expensive tablets, with all the extra features must be great, but for me I have no need for upgrading at this time. Also for me I disable all the buttons on the pen and the tablet. I find it's too easy to hit one of the buttons while not realizing it. I just need the pen to work, nothing else. Perhaps as I progress I'll feel differently, but for now, the cheapest tablet is just fine.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom