Waiting

Another grabshot taken at The Distillery, a trendy area of refurbished buildings that were once part of a large distillery operation here in Toronto. Now full of trendy cafes and art galleries, it is another target-rich environment for the candid street shooter.
What caught my eye were the two people who seem to resemble each other, were sitting on the same bench and yet were emotionally worlds apart.
motorized Nikon F with meterless, eyelevel prism
Nikkor 180 2.8 ED AIS manual focus
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
5.6 @ 1/125th
Waiting-800.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It can be a striking image in b&w! Nice shot but I believe it can be made better.
Because most probably it comes from a scan, I find it with more contrast than I like.
I would have cloned the cup on the bench since in my humble opinion acts like a distraction to this nice image.
I like the nice balance but I do not like the amputation of the feet on the right. For my taste, I would have open the shadows enough to show details on the faces.
Just my opinion.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

William,
I appreciated your well thought out comments.
Yes, it is a scan, made from a colour slide, which is all I shoot.
The degree of contrast one likes is personal so whether this shot is too contrasty or not is debatable, and I obviously like it this way.
About the cup? Truly I never thought to remove it, I suppose just because it seems to me to act as a bridge for the eye to flow from one person to the other. And it also adds to the idea of waiting. She is smoking a ciggerette and drinking coffee as she waits for someone to arrive or something to occur.
I agree about cutting off the boy's feet. That was a bit of sloppiness on my part as I framed, and if they were completely within the frame the shot would have been better.
The fact that they are a minor element of the image is my only excuse for not paying more attention to them when I took the shot. I'll have to be more careful in future.

I do agree about black and white, but not sure about removing the cup
Mono would remove distracting elements like the background red foliage, that really doesn't do anything for me and the image
But the cup seems useful - contrasts nicely, and to me provides a fulcrum between the two, maybe adding a little tension

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom