Wal-mart for 120/220 slides and negatives. 35mm too!

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Connahhh, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    A tutorial written by a member of Skate Perception that I though you guys might enjoy. I just got a roll of C-41 120 back. It was $1.56 for developing and 3x3 prints.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Cool! This is a great deal!

3. Good Tip! :biggrin:

4. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    This is good to know. 120 is tough to get processed around here.

5. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Awesome! Thanks for posting.

6. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    Thanks for the info! Have you ever requested C41 negatives processed (with prints) and uncut negatives? It would be cool to get the negative roll back uncut in order to cut in strips of 3 or 4 frames for my scanner. Also, have you had any 120 or 220 neagtives scanned by them? I'm assuming that they offer the same low resolution scans as they do with their 35mm rolls, but it would be nice to view the images on a disk even at low resolution prior to scanning at home at a higher resolution (it would save lots of time). Thanks again!

7. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I beleive you can get the negatives uncut. The default is 2 frames. I don't know if you can get scans of 120/220, but the prints are less than free (I've heard reports of $1.80 for dev only) and do nearly the same thing. However, they seem to be less saturated and a little cooler in tone.

8. Wow, VERY cool!

If you want to shorten up the "filling out envelope" process, use all those free return address labels that ya get in the mail (you know, the ones where they also send you a nickel :confused: ), and get a box of Dennison labels......print your special instructions on a sheet of labels, then just peel one off and pop it on the envelope. :biggrin:

9. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    Thanks again! I am going to send a roll out sometime next week as an experiment!

10. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Connor, is this still the method you use to develop film? Or have you found other avenues? I have some 220 film that I would like to develop, and other local places are basically impossible...

11. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    This is usually how I develop. My local wal-mart is being incredibly annoying with the process right now, however. I keep getting phone calls from people who just simply don't know what they're doing.

I first got a call that said sorry, we can't do developing + printing 3x3 prints. I say whatever, that's fine (even though I've done it before) and told them to develop only. I got a call about 4 hours after that which said that they can't do develop only, they have to do it with prints too. :rolleyes: 

12. Connor, I feel your pain. The CVS I use to drop off the Kodak mailers, doesn't offer their 1 hour processing on a normal basis. Though I rarely used it, it was nice having that option.

I just found out the local Shop Rite Supermarket also offers the Kodak mailers, I am going to check them out with the next batch of C-41. I use a local lab for all my E-6 slide processing. It seems they run E-6 processing everyday, and that if I drop it off in the AM it is usually ready that evening.

13. nice and cheap!

14. I use this service and I live in New Hampshire. The film is processed and returned in about one week!! I paid under $3.00 to have a roll of 120 C-41 film developed. Negatives were uncut as specified in the remarks box.
    Walmart is dropping film development in store shortly ( photo rep told me this before the holidays). According to the rep they will only use a dry process for digital pictures.

Fred

15. This is starting to happen over here but very gradually. A new Asda Walmart recently opened in North London - no film processing at all, digital only.

16. Film processing around here is next to impossible!! The last three camera shops in and around Portmouth, NH (USA) have closed in the last year. Has this happened across the pond???

I happen to live in a community with septic systems and the chemicals I would like to use would effect the septic fields adversly. The problem of getting the film processed is very difficult and home processing is next to impossible. What are we to do???

Fred

17. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Where are you two in NH? I'd be interested if these were any wal-marts around me.

18. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    The Wal Mart near me stop developing film early in the fall, that leaves only the Rite Aid for local development and I have never been very satisfied with what I've gotten from them.

This really sucks considering I like shooting film out here and it would cost me way to much to setup to develop here at home.

19. In Watford Centre there used to be 3 Jessops shops and another shop,SRS.
    In recent years 2 of the Jessops shops have closed but SRS is still there and seems to be bearing up under the current economic strain.

Watford has a pop of about 70k excluding a large catchment area so I see no reason why either of these 2 retail outlets should dissappear.

The Jessops chain came close to closure a couple of years ago but that was probably due to mainly overstocking problems and too many outlets ( ie 3 in the one town as was ). Hence they now carry limited stock but SRS usually seem to have the stuff in stock.

The other difference is Jessops try and cater for all and sundry ie from cheap p+s to top end dslrs. SRS appear to cater more for the dslr market.

Though retired I work part time in a photo lab and the amount of c41 film coming in has reduced substantially but there is still a lot of disposable c41 camera film coming in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.