WalkAround Advise

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by equetefue, Sep 29, 2005.

1. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    Looking into getting a "fast" walkaround lens. At this time I can't afford a good nikkor lens so I have narrowed it down to

1. Sigma 24-70mm f2.8

2. Tamron 28-75mm F2.8

What is you guys experience with them. Heard really good things about the Tamrom

2. I have the Tamron. No experience with the Sigma, though I do have the Nikon 28-70, 17-55, etc.

I bought it thinking light inexpensive lens when I want a minimal camera. But I am actually quite surprised at how nice it is. Well, definitely sharp. Other less tangible qualities don't seem to keep up with the larger Nikons, etc. But it isn't awful in any way that I have found.

Here are a few barely processed D50 examples at ISO 800. One is cropped. Both have normal in camera sharpening. Both are difficult focusing situations. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I have the sigma and I like it...

4. Another vote for the Sigma.

Bought it as soon as I bought my D70, and the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8. Not really used the 24-70 that much until about 2 weeks ago as I was hooked on the long lens with teleconvertors and close up filters etc...

Now - can't bring myself to take the 24-70 off the camera, it's simply a great lens which I am beginning to appreciate more each day.

One thing though - you can't use a teleconvertor on the Sigma - at least not a Sigma teleconvertor. Just in case you were thinking of using this lens with a 2x to give you a light weight longer zoom option.

5. Check out the post by "ero2", regarding the Tamron 28-75.

I have posted a shot that I took with this lens.

6. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Also Tokina

I have the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70 f/2.8 which performs superbly on the D2X.

7. I don't personally own any of the lenses mentioned; however, I did research them extensively. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these 3. One thing worth mentioning is the Sigma. Apparently there is a newer version of the 24-70 that has tested out very well. Of course the Tamron always seems to receive high praise. I didn't find tons of info on Tokina but the typical comment concerning it is that it is built like a tank and performs very well.

I hate decisions like these as I only want to buy once. It's difficult when each of the options is so close in quality/performance to the others.

Good luck!

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Welcome to the Cafe Equete! So which one are you gonna get?

9. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    I'm so torned right now. i believe the Tamron is slighlty better than the Sigma but more than often people have to send them to factory because of backfocus issues when new. I think I'll go with the sigma.